Answered

10.X.X.XX is my IP address format. How to generate network matrix?

• 11 August 2020
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Have read that inserting the IP of one component into this url would pull up the Sonos network matrix:

http://xxx.xxx.xx.xxx:1400/support/review

My interest in the network matrix is to inspect for interference and/or optimize the connection in the Sonos network.

All the IP addresses of my components have the format: 10.x.x.xx.   I see the IP addresses in the Netgear Orbi AX6000 app that displays the components hardwired to router.  In my Sonos system, a Bridge is hardwire connected to the router.   Router is a ISP-supplied glass fiber modem + router.

Question:  How can I generate the network matrix without the public IP addresses like 192. or 168. etc?

Appreciate the advice!

icon

Best answer by ratty 11 August 2020, 16:58

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Question:  How can I generate the network matrix without the public IP addresses like 192. or 168. etc?

You want a private IP, not public. (192.168.x.x is private anyway.)

10.x.x.x is a (class A) private IP. In the above URL substitute the IP address of any player (not a Boost or Bridge) to see the Network Matrix.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

I use a 10.x.x.x subnet internally as well.  Like ratty said, just find one machine’s IP address and put that in the URL.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Using 10.x.x.xx of player (instead of my bridge) was the solution.  Thank you!

First column is relatively green, “good” but certainly falls into orange at key points.

“BnC bridge” is orange in 1st column and hardwired to router and thus the starting point for Sonos.

Orange due to interference from the router WiFi signals?  (Sonos on channel 1, Wifi channel 9)

BnC bridge in same room as Living Room with green connection

Green due to close proximity?  (6 meters / 18 ft apart)

The rest of the connections look moderate (yellow) to weak (orange)

Perhaps weak connections due to thick-walled, 100 y.o. house, stacked on 4 floors?

Question to the Sonos pros:  What principles are recommended to improve connections?  

Closer components?  

More components?  

Newer components for whole network (half new, half old)?

Any insight very welcome and appreciated!!

First column is relatively green, “good” but certainly falls into orange at key points.

I’d ignore those orange cells for now. Those are old radios. They seem to grumble, whatever the conditions.

“BnC bridge” is orange in 1st column and hardwired to router and thus the starting point for Sonos.

Orange due to interference from the router WiFi signals?  (Sonos on channel 1, Wifi channel 9)

See above. Bridges are ancient tech.

FWIW you should use ch 6 or 11 for the WiFi. Channel 9 will interfere with -- and suffer interference from -- anybody else in the vicinity on ch 6 or 11.

BnC bridge in same room as Living Room with green connection

Green due to close proximity?  (6 meters / 18 ft apart)

That’s certainly a significant factor.

The rest of the connections look moderate (yellow) to weak (orange)

Perhaps weak connections due to thick-walled, 100 y.o. house, stacked on 4 floors?

The one horror which stands out is the red connection between BnC bridge and BRIDGE. The latter is only supporting one player, which seems to be quite remote. 

Question to the Sonos pros:  What principles are recommended to improve connections?  

Closer components?  

More components?  

Newer components for whole network (half new, half old)?

Any insight very welcome and appreciated!!

The first thing I’d do is replace the creaking old Bridges with Boosts.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Out with old, in with new…

Thanks for the insight and advice!

Yes, the two bridges are “as-the-crow-flies” (?) closest units to each other, but BnC bridge in living room, BRIDGE in cellar.  It’s only purpose is try to push / bridge the connection to a further away ZP100 in the man’s cave…

Bricking program?  Nah.  S2 controller?  Nah.  Crappy connections in the network?  Sure, I’ll upgrade.

:-)

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Wiring a speaker or a Boost should give you a lot better network connection than the very old Bridge. The SonosNet v2.0 is far superior to the Bridge’s v1.0 and is supported by all but the oldest ZonePlayers.