Answered

Can Roam in bluetooth mode be grouped with my other speakers?

• 25 May 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3
  • Avid Contributor III
  • 31 replies

If I connect my Roam to my mobile by bluetooth, should it be possible to group other speakers with the Roam and hear audio fed from my mobile through the Roam playing to the whole group (including the Roam)?

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 25 May 2021, 14:25

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Yes, when you are playing to your Roam via Bluetooth, as long as it’s also in reach and connected to your home WiFi network, you can simply open the S2 Sonos App and ‘group’ it with any other Sonos devices/rooms and it will play its Bluetooth audio to the entire group.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

OK thanks, but now a related question if I may:

My system uses a Sonos Boost and I think this means speakers aren’t connected by WiFi, but through the boost using a Sonos protocol instead. I’m concerned the boost will prevent grouping over WiFi. (my Roam is registered on my WiFi, but I’m not sure which protocol it uses - WiFi or Boost).

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

OK thanks, but now a related question if I may:

My system uses a Sonos Boost and I think this means speakers aren’t connected by WiFi, but through the boost using a Sonos protocol instead. I’m concerned the boost will prevent grouping over WiFi

Provided the Boost is connected to the same network -- i.e., it’s on the same subnet as WiFi attached devices, which would be the usual domestic case -- then grouping will work.

If your controller devices are on the same WiFi as the Roam, and can successfully control your Sonos system, it’s the same thing.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

@pwt good to know, tks.

I’m pretty sure they’re all on same subnet. It’s a fairly vanilla / large-ish home wifi network with 30 - 40 devices connected via on Fritz!Box7490 router. I’ve never adjusted subnet settings so I assume I have just one.

It provides two Wifi bands 2.4GHz and 5GHz, and I have a Fritz!WLAN 1750e mesh repeater.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

BTW @pwt: how did you set up your signature block to list your system components?

I looked in my profile settings but couldn’t see an option there ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

BTW @pwt: how did you set up your signature block to show yr system components?

I looked in my profile settings but couldn’t see an option there ?

My profile > Edit profile > Forum signature.