Answered

Bluetooth audio codec on the Move?

• 7 October 2019
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I am curious to know what bluetooth audio codecs the Move supports. Particularly if it supports Aptx HD or one of the other higher resolution codecs like LDAC.

Thanks!
icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 7 October 2019, 20:15

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi getjams

Three independent sources indicate the BT version to be 4.2 and codecs supported being SBC and AAC.

Cnet

Slashgear

9to5Mac

Cheers!
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
That's a bummer, that would indicate you can only stream mp3 compressed quality audio to the Move then. Those two codecs are the two least impressive, lowest quality bluetooth audio codecs. Whereas on wifi my Amazon HD content will play (I assume) at 16/44.1 like the rest of the Sonos speakers. Even my $20 bluetooth earbuds support Aptx HD, seems like a big miss. Even regular Aptx (not HD) supports 16bit/44.1 (Aptx HD supports 24/48). Sad to see the lack of support for even CD-quality bluetooth on the Move.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
You know, I probably should have tested this before posting the question. Just switched to Move to bluetooth mode, queued up the 50th Anniv Sgt. Pepper release on Amazon Music HD, sent it to the Move and it told me my bluetooth device capability was 24/48 and that's what it sent to the Move so it likely does support AptX HD. Attached image while playing over bluetooth to the Move.

Hi Getjams, 
So you are suggesting that aptx is supported by the move. 

That will be big news. 

Did you do some other tests to confirm your findings? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

That screenshot indicates the Amazon app is playing 24/48, but it doesn’t say anything about the Bluetooth details that I can see. It wouldn’t surprise me if the device hardware (or firmware) is transcoding that down to a lower resolution before sending it on to the BT stack.

Mind you if your ears can’t tell the difference anyway, it doesn’t really matter.

I have an Audio Technica turntable that I’m told uses SBC Bluetooth audio codec and A2DP profile. I haven’t been able to connect it via Bluetooth to the Sonos Move. Do you know if it is incompatible?