Answered

Worth adding another Play 5 for stereo in a fairly small room ?

Userlevel 1
Hi thanks in advance for any advice given here.
Had a Play 5 for about a year and absolutely love the quality of sound it produces, hearing songs I've listened to all my life in a whole new dynamic.
I love in a fairly small house, living room is about 30 feet by 25 feet. Do you think I would be able to appreciate the stereo effect of a pair of Play 5's or would it be overkill in such a small room?
Thanks again for your opinions
Regards
Wayne
icon

Best answer by Sonosjunkie 21 May 2018, 22:24

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12
I have a pair of Play 5s in a much smaller room (22 x10) and a pair is far superior to a single stand alone. So I would most certainly say Yes!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The pair of 5s would be very nice if you are able to place them reasonably for your usual listening position. That room isn't too small for two, it could even be nicer with an added Sub.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
In a room 30 x 20 or more I’d certainly consider adding the Sub too! I had one in there but it was overkill so mived it to beef up the pair of 3s i have in the Kitchen which is a little larger and used more frequently. The Sub and the Play 5 pair licked out some serious bass!
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
I have 2 Play 5s in a stereo pair in a space slightly smaller than you describe, and I believe it was worth it to add the second one.

While I LOVE my SUB (Connected to a Playbar for TV), I'm not sure I could justify the cost to add it to a room with 2 5s. Yes, it is fantastic... but ... depends significantly on your music preference I'd think.
Userlevel 1
Thanks very much for the advice, certainly going to give it a go as I now spend so much time listening to music and having already spent the money on one 5 might as well get the most that I can afford.
Thanks
Wayne
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Good luck. Budget for a pair of stands too if you can. Enjoy!
Userlevel 1
You read my mind, just looking at some stands at the moment, thanks ?
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Flexson Premiums!!!! ?
Userlevel 1
Could i just ask a question about the flexson floor stands ? Does it matte rwhich orientation you have ie vertical or horizontal regarding sound quality as a stereo pair ?
Thanks
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
I’ve only experienced vertical orientation, but apparently that provides a more focused stereo seperation with a narrower ‘sweet’ spot. Whereas a horizontal orientation will have a wider spread and be slightly less focused. The premium stands come with adapers for either orientation so you can experiment and see what fits best.
Make sure that the speakers are safe from toppling over when on stands.

You also have another option, if your room forces the preferred listening position to be within 8-10 feet of the speakers: get a play 1 pair and increase music coverage in the home to another room by relocating the 5. The 5 pair will be better if you listen at a greater distance, but the 1 pair will always be better than a single 5.
Userlevel 1
Thanks very much for all the advice, ive ordered another play 5 and a pair of flexson vertical stands ( coildnt stretch to the premiums unfortunatley), cant wait for it all to arrive tomorrow ?
Userlevel 1
Well got my second play 5 set up on the flexson stands and ive got to say it was worth every penny now im listeneing ro the pair in stereo. Was worried that i would be wasting money by getting a second play 5 but i think the opposite is true, such a waste to spend so much on one speaker, two is much more than twice the value.
Thanks very much for all the advice, you were so right ?
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Glad to hear you’re happy with your purchases. And I could’nt agree more. Lots of bucks, but the bang is more than twice the price!
Userlevel 1
Save for a sub now ?