With 2xEra300 as surround, should I get Arc or Beam Gen2?

• 25 July 2023
  • 4 replies

Hi Guys, could you share with me your opinions please. :)

I am new to Sonos system and never own any Sonos product before.

With the main aim of watching Atmos movies, I have recently tested two similar setups in the shop, with only difference being soundbar itself.

1. Arc+ Sub Mini + 2xEra300 as surround.

2. Beam Gen 2 + Sub Mini + 2xEra300 as surround.

I found Atmos movie was most amazing to me when two Era300s are involved, it's really spacious. However, I have also noticed that 2xEra300 would somehow "in a good way outshine but not overwhelm" the soundbar completely, both Arc and Beam Gen2, during my testing session.

I understand that a typical HT system is kind of a front focused setup, with a-much-more-powerful soundbar in front of you, and "two-relatively-weaker/smaller" surround speaker at the back, eg Samsung Q990, Bose 900 and JBL bar etc. But Era300s as surround seems completely overthrown this principle, making Front/RL/RR equally weighted. In fact, I couldn't tell the difference between arc and Beam gen2, they seems similar in performance while Era300s are around. I got an impression that soundbar choice appears insignificant in such configuration.

I am not sure if this is due to the setting in which Era300s volume being made louder than the soundbar in the Sonos app, or is it just Era300 being too powerful and advanced, I didn't get a chance to see the exact settings.

I am not trying to identify which soundbar is absolutely superior, arc or beam gen2, in terms of its solo performance, but rather if their difference are still a significant factor to consider with the presence of era300s as surround.

Btw, I have a very tiny space, could this also be the reason why I can't tell the difference between Arc and Beam Gen2?

• The room is 8ft wide x13 ft deep (2.5x4m).

• Distance between me and soundbar is 6ft (2m), with era300s just right behind me.

• Flat ceiling at 9ft height (2.95m)

So should I just go for beam Gen2 in this case since it's much cheaper and has a smaller footprint? If you have a lot of experience playing with both setup, could you share with me your thoughts please.

Cheers.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

I’m sure either Soundbar will be fine in that size room... the Arc is clearly the superior product and just to add you can adjust the audio levels between front and rear speakers (as required) and the height channels too.

I have both Arc & Beam and my own personal rule has been, that if the TV has a 55” display, or over, then I use an Arc and if the TV is less than 55” I have opted to install a Beam instead. I also prefer to use a full Sonos Sub with the Arc and a Sub-Mini with the Beam, but these of course are just my own criteria that I have chosen to have in place.

These things often come down, of course, to the budget that you’ve perhaps already set aside for your purchase decision, however perhaps note too though, if you decide to purchase direct from Sonos, there is a 100 day money back guarantee, so if you’re not happy with the purchase you can always return the goods and go onto try another of their products instead. See this link:

https://www.sonos.com/en/legal/terms#2022-legal-terms-sale-returns

I’m sure either Soundbar will be fine in that size room... the Arc is clearly the superior product and just to add you can adjust the audio levels between front and rear speakers (as required) and the height channels too.

I have both Arc & Beam and my own personal rule has been, that if the TV has a 55” display, or over, then I use an Arc and if the TV is less than 55” I have opted to install a Beam instead. I also prefer to use a full Sonos Sub with the Arc and a Sub-Mini with the Beam, but these of course are just my own criteria that I have chosen to have in place.

These things often come down, of course, to the budget that you’ve perhaps already set aside for your purchase decision, however perhaps note too though, if you decide to purchase direct from Sonos, there is a 100 day money back guarantee, so if you’re not happy with the purchase you can always return the goods and go onto try another of their products instead. See this link:

https://www.sonos.com/en/legal/terms#2022-legal-terms-sale-returns

Thanks for bring out TV size as an important factor to consider, I didn't quite thought of that before, appreciate it :)

I prefer ARC and SUB. Actually, I have two SUB’s and these are fun. I think that ARC has a clearer midrange.

Your demo might have been adjusted to appeal to new surround listeners. New surround listeners need to be smacked in the back of the head by the surrounds. And, the content needs to aggressively use the surrounds. Top Gun is a good first demo because the surrounds are very active. If the surrounds are adjusted to give realistic cityscapes or country ambience, new surround listeners don’t think that the surrounds are active. 

That’s one of the reasons I like the opening sequence (the beach landing) of Saving Private Ryan; extremely distinct use of the surround channels.