Wireless streaming system needed for multiple zones/rooms

• 29 April 2018
  • 1 reply

Im a complete novice when it comes to Wireless music systems and Sonos products, so apologies for the dumb questions, but here goes ...

I am having my house renovated so have the opportunity to install speakers in the ceilings of my home so I can stream music around the house.

I want to have 3 zones in total each one with ceiling speakers:

Zone One in our front lounge (which is a kids room, 5m x 4m in size), connected to the smart TV in the same room. Kids can then stream their own music (from their phones). I want to have this zone connected to the TV in the same room so the sounds comes from the ceiling speakers.

Zones two and three are also on the ground floor but in a separate very large open space (kitchen/diner/lounge) which is about 15m x 6m in size. I want to stream the same music to both zones simultaneously from my phone. Also I want the option to stream different music to each zone simultaneously or to switch off one zone and just stream music to the other zone. I want to connect the TV in the same room to both zones or to just one.

My simple question is what sort of Sonos kit do I need to purchase. I have been online looking at various reviews of Sonos products but am getting a bit confused with the choice thats out there (I know I need Connect:AMP for a start ..)

I currently subscribe to Apple Music, but can change that to a different streaming service

many thanks in advance
Raj

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Hi RajP

My answers are below your questions:

Zone One in our front lounge (which is a kids room, 5m x 4m in size), connected to the smart TV in the same room. Kids can then stream their own music (from their phones). I want to have this zone connected to the TV in the same room so the sounds comes from the ceiling speakers.

Option1_Connect:Amp and Sonos Playbar or Playbase
_Wire ceiling speakers to Connect:Amp. Click link for info:
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/269/kw/connect%20Amp/session/L3RpbWUvMTUyNTQ2MTYyNi9zaWQvZlVzR2pkbWRkbEN6eWo4X3dPSXh1VlpMYmszRlZHYXNCWUVWZm9iM2pqWURCSl90X1ZpS0dBS1lqZHdVZ1RNcDNDY1FRUlNoMmFpcG5zaXRFejU3WVc2RnNGYmwyM2VXbTljd1Y0OTcxNUQ1azlubFFFZEhaYWVBJTIxJTIx

_Assuming TV has optical out_connect Playbar or Playbase to it. Click link for info:
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2043/kw/playbar

You can group TV sound to play through ceiling speakers or Music to play through ceiling speakers and Playbar/Playbase. Ungroup to play Music through ceiling speakers only

Option 2_Connect:Amp and Connect
_Wire ceiling speakers to Connect:Amp as above
_Connect TV sound RCA or 3.5mm-out to RCA-in on Connect
_You can group to have TV sound play through ceiling speakers or ungroup to have Music play through ceiling speakers only

Option 3_Connect:Amp (probably not practical as this requires a long wire between TV and Connect:Amp)
_Wire ceiling speakers to Connect:Amp as above
_Connect TV sound RCA or 3.5mm-out to RCA-in on Connect:Amp
_Your options for sound are the same as in Option 1 above

Zones two and three are also on the ground floor but in a separate very large open space (kitchen/diner/lounge) which is about 15m x 6m in size. I want to stream the same music to both zones simultaneously from my phone. Also I want the option to stream different music to each zone simultaneously or to switch off one zone and just stream music to the other zone. I want to connect the TV in the same room to both zones or to just one.

Best Option_Two Connect:Amps and a Playbar or Playbase
_Wire ceiling speakers to separate Connect;Amps as indicated above
_Set up TV with either a Playbar or Paybase

I currently subscribe to Apple Music, but can change that to a different streaming service

Apple Music
_Apple Music can be subscribed to via the Sonos App.

What I’ve given you is just for starters on making connections. You’d be well served to read the link below before attempting any of the above. Feel free to come back with more questions!
https://www.sonos.com/en-us/support/setting-up-sonos

Cheers!