Answered

Will TV/ Beam work w/ Non-BT Headphones

• 10 June 2019
  • 4 replies

Newbie here and new to Sonos products.

We moved recently and both home audio and TV setup now different requirements.

Looking at whole home audio vs. old-school hardwired speakers in the ceiling, so hairsplitting over Play1 or One.

Meantime, for TV setup, at minimum, like to have a Beam, w/ wired headphones, get 2 Play1 or One for rear speakers, no subwoofer needed. Will probably forgo cable/satellite as we don't use many channels. OTA and Firestick4K. Occasional BluRay.
Haven't used "Alexa" yet, but like to incorporate at some point. (See SNL's skit "Alexa for Seniors" that's where we are....)

Have read the multi-page posts that seems to focus on Beam and BT headphones while using TV sound are not compatible.

Wondering if any users have tried a non-BT headphone w/ Beam in use simultaneously? or wired headphones alone when no soundbar/rear speakers desirable?

If so, what worked for you?

TV is Samsung 4k Smart 2016.

Absolutely Must use Headphones. No choices here unless go to closed captioning !!

Currently, have wired Sennheiser Flex 5000 (NOT BT) and no soundbar/rear speakers at all.

Current set-up has Sennheiser "sending unit" plugged into the Digital /Optical Out port on the Samsung.
The "receiver" is pocket sized and carry around with you, with the "wired" portion being standard issue wired earbuds.

Set Samsung audio on PCM vs. Bitstream. Set TV's volume to 0 or mute via Samsung Remote.

With this arrangement, it's not great quality audio, but it gives clarity and volume he needs.

Hours of Marital Harmony!

However, if others want to watch TV, like to use a soundbar to offset the tinny-tiny rear speakers.

Hence the need for compatible soundbar so all can enjoy at necessary volume.

Any experiences/ suggestions/ comments on this set-up, especially the wired headphones, is appreciated.

Thank you all in advance. If you PM that's fine too. I will try to get back asap.
icon

Best answer by ratty 10 June 2019, 09:30

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Sonos Beam has no facility for headphones, wired or wireless. You can simply use it in parallel with whatever headphone arrangement you prefer, the latter directly connected via the TV's optical output.
Good morning Ratty, and thank you for the prompt reply.

Assuming I would connect his Sennheiser to the TV as we do now, would Beam (presumably via HDMI ARC connection) be able to be used at same time he is listening in his earphones?
Thank you!
Yes. Beam would work off the HDMI-ARC. The headphones would work off the optical connection. Each could be controlled independently.
Yes, that setup would be wonderful for both of us!

Thank you for taking the time today to reply.
I have next 2 days off and will see if I can make this all work with Sonos Beam/ play1 or One, etc.

Have a great afternoon.
Kootiekat