Which speaker for a 100 sq. feet studio?

• 17 March 2021
  • 8 replies

Badge

I’m looking to get a speaker for my studio and am not sure on the setup, room is quite small (100 sq. feet). I’m between the One, the Five or potentially a One pair. Any recommendations?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7

A single One or One SL would be sufficient for a room that size. And if you want to upgrade in the future, add another One to create a stereo pair.

I think a Five might be a little too much speaker unless your room is really long.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

In a room that small the 5 is likely more than you need but the simulated stereo will be decent if you place it correctly.

I’d really lean to a pair of Ones, mono sound just sounds so dead to my ears. Place them for a good stereo image, lots of mount options available.

I’m with Stanley_4, I vote for stereo. The ONE’s offer very good sound for their price/size. I don’t know your audio preferences. I would personally prefer a pair of FIVE’s or a pair of MOVE’s. Others would be delighted with a pair of ONE’s. If you are a bass freak, a contrarian approach that will save desk space would be a pair of ONE’s with SUB. There is no right or wrong, in the end only you know what sounds “best”.

Is this a primary listing area or is this simply background music? What do you usually listen to? How does it sound?

Badge

I’m with Stanley_4, I vote for stereo. The ONE’s offer very good sound for their price/size. I don’t know your audio preferences. I would personally prefer a pair of FIVE’s or a pair of MOVE’s. Others would be delighted with a pair of ONE’s. If you are a bass freak, a contrarian approach that will save desk space would be a pair of ONE’s with SUB. There is no right or wrong, in the end only you know what sounds “best”.

Is this a primary listing area or is this simply background music? What do you usually listen to? How does it sound?

It’s my home office, primarily it’s going to be for background listening. Room is fairly empty and almost perfectly square in shape. I think I’m going to start with a single One and see how it goes, then possibly add a second for stereo down the road - thanks for the tips!

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

It’s my home office, primarily it’s going to be for background listening. Room is fairly empty and almost perfectly square in shape. I think I’m going to start with a single One and see how it goes, then possibly add a second for stereo down the road - thanks for the tips!

I use a pair of ones in my office and it’s relatively close to the same size for background music as well. I started with one and added a second. It makes a world of difference with stereo. Now, every room that has Sonos has at least a pair. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I have a single Play 1 in my 5x10 bath and it is great for background.

I have a Beam, 2 SLs and a Sub in a 10x10 computer room and it is way overkill but I love it. Spouse is not impressed when I crank it up, rattles the dishes in the kitchen, that shares a wall.

If you use voice control a One is a good start, otherwise a One SL will save a few bucks. 

Badge

I just ordered a One (plan to use Alexa on it), potentially will add a One SL in a second time. Thanks all for the tips, my first SONOS speaker!

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

I just ordered a One (plan to use Alexa on it), potentially will add a One SL in a second time. Thanks all for the tips, my first SONOS speaker!

Congrats, enjoy and welcome to the family.