Which Sonos Product will solve my dilema?

• 27 August 2023
  • 16 replies

Badge
  • Contributor II
  • 11 replies

Scenario:  Semi-Formal Living room with a Samsung Frame TV.  I have a small recessed audio/video box mounted inside the wall behind the Frame TV to contain the One Connect Box.  

We aren’t terribly concerned about the sound quality of the TV…..won’t be watching many movies here….mostly a football game or something like that.  Because of the semi-formal state of this room and the look we are going for, we want to avoid a sound bar…..or at least a visible one.

I would, however, like the ability to wirelessly transmit the TV’s audio to other various sonos wireless products inside my house…..i.e. if watching a football game, can blast the auto into other rooms.

We have a different (non Frame) samsung tv in our office that has a Beam.  We use the audio share feature occasionally and love it.

Must:  We need the wireless broadcast audio signal that is played throughout the house to be in sync with the Frame TV…..in other words, if I use the office tv to transmit the wireless signal throughout the house via the beam and then turn the Frame TV on the same channel will NOT work because the Frame TV won’t be in sync with the audio. 

I’m pretty sure a Sonos AMP put behind the Frame TV in the A/V Box is a potential solution…..but seems like a really expensive one and a bit of a ridiculous use of the Amp and all it’s awesome features.  Any other suggestions as to how I can accomplish this?

End goal:  able to broadcast my Frame TV’s audio to my sonos wifi speakers (One, Roam, etc) with minimal perceivable audio-video decouple lag.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I’d seriously look at the Amp to connect to your TV, it or a soundbar are the only no-delay options.

Since you sound like you’d prefer more of a “Party Mode” than a surround type setup I’d look at the Sonos sold Sonance architectural speakers. Ceiling, Wall or a combination. You could use up to six of them and to even out the sound set the Amp to Mono mode.

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/architectural

You could Group the other Sonos in the house with minimal delay, around 75 ms, that isn’t an issue unless you are looking for lip-sync or the rooms are open to each other. Even with open rooms you can usually get something set up to sound decent.

Badge

Thanks.  I appreciate the feedback!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

For TV viewing I would not recommend ceiling speakers. Sound needs to come “from the TV” as it were, and ceilings, certainly for fronts, are just too high up.

I’ve not researched this, but would not the cheaper option be to connect an Era 100 via bluetooth to the TV and distribute this source to the rest of the speakers? Since bluetooth is wireless it could be prone to some interference between TV and speaker than the cabled Amp-TV connection, but it would be much cheaper. You’d probably have the same 75ms delay when grouping other speakers.

Badge

Oh my!   I never even though of using one of sonos’s BluTooth speakers as a “soundbar” and go that route.

I have a buddy that has a Move speaker and a Frame TV.  I’ll test it out later today and report back!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You could try, but I’m not sure results for the Move would translate to an Era speaker. 

Badge

Test failed.   We were able to connect the Move speaker to the Frame TV via Blue Tooth, however, from there we were not able to pair any of the other sonos WIFI speakers…..because the Move speaker can only do BT or WiFi…..not both at the same time.

The rumored version 2 of the Move is supposed to fix that, and match the features of the current Roam. We just don’t know if the rumors are true, or when it will be announced or if it will be released. 

Badge

The rumored version 2 of the Move is supposed to fix that, and match the features of the current Roam. We just don’t know if the rumors are true, or when it will be announced or if it will be released. 

So are you telling me that if I had a Roam, I WOULD be able to connect to my TV via BT and then also pair that audio to WiFi speakers? 

Currently, yes. However, the key thing to remember is that these non-soundbar speakers are at best stereo, and not anything more than that. Well, and the fact that they’re not designed for this use, and don’t do anything to make an effort to sync with the screen….

Badge

Thanks Bruce! 

yeah fully aware the sound quality wouldn’t be comparable to that of a proper sound bar….and for what we are wanting to do with it, a little quality loss is completely fine. 

as for no effort to sync the screen.  In the experiment we did with the Move, there was *maybe* a tiny tin Sync issue, but so minute….and if using this for sporting events, that small of a sync issue would be a non issue. 

having said all of this….I assume the roam vs the roam SL wouldn’t make any difference with this feature?

I wasn’t really aware of a Roam SL, but the only difference between an SL product and the standard product is the lack of a microphone, which could be used for ‘tuning’ the product (which is why I’m not sure there is a Roam SL). Hmm, according to the website, there is an SL.  I’m not convinced the cost difference is worth it, but then I don’t own an SL version, nor do I actually use much of the voice features on my Roam…so who knows.

IMHO, the Roam is a personal device, not really designed to service larger spaces. It’d be neat to test, but the physical limitations of such small speaker drivers would make me wary about using it to connect to a TV….but that’s me.

Badge

Wonder if there would be a volume issue with the roam.

I’d think, given normal physics, it would be quieter than a Move. You just can’t make a smaller device sound the same as a larger device.

Badge

Gotta still be better than the built in TV speakers though….right!?!

Depends on the TV.

I’d still be looking at a Sonos Ray, or Beam, or Arc, and not trying to cobble together something not designed for purpose. Most often, when I try to ‘cobble’, it just doesn’t work as well as I’d like. And give  the difference between a full 5.1 or Atmos signal, versus a potential mono speaker….well, it’s your ears.