Answered

Which Sonos connection for vinyl?

• 23 September 2018
  • 6 replies

Would love to hook up a record / vinyl player to my Sonos system which is a mixture of play 1’S, a play 3 and a couple of Sonos ones (for Alexa). I’m torn as whether or not to buy a Connect, a Connect Amp or a Play 5??? I understand I need to buy a good quality record player with a preamp, that’s fine but which of the 3 Sonos products so as to have the viny playing throughout the house on the Sonos system? Will any of the 3 Sonos products do that for me? Help appreciated - thanks
icon

Best answer by Kumar 23 September 2018, 14:13

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Any of them will, since they all have the necessary line in sockets, but the Connect Amp will be wasted unless you plan to also wire a pair of third party speakers to them for another zone/room.
If you can use it, a play 5 is better than a Connect, because for a little more money than a "dumb" Connect, you get a speaker that can output music as well.
Thanks Kumar, that makes so much more sense as the system gains what looks like a great speaker
Kumar, you seem to know so I’ll ask this, whochnis someheat related but with the added question of Airplay2/Siri: I have ten Pre-AirPlay Play1s throughout my home. I would like to connect a Pro-Ject Essential turntable to the system as well as have it and the entire system be AirPlay 2 compatible now. My question is, what do I need, as I want to stick with Sonos? Do I buy a Connect? (Is it AirPlay 2 compatible) or the new Amp coming out. Or do I go with a Play 5 so I get an added speaker and just plug my turntable into that? And then it will Group the rest of my Play1s to make it work with Airplay2? And lastly, do I need the turntable to have a preamp (or connected to a separate pre-amp) to work with any of these options?
Or do I go with a Play 5 so I get an added speaker and just plug my turntable into that? And then it will Group the rest of my Play1s to make it work with Airplay2? And lastly, do I need the turntable to have a preamp (or connected to a separate pre-amp) to work with any of these options?
Yes to all of the above.
Play 1/Connect on their own cannot do Airplay 2.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
I got a Play:5 as I can use it standalone when I'm not using vinyl. Sound quality is great as always.
Thanks Kumar and Joey...
Much appreciated.