Answered

Which HDMI for 5m run to a Sonos Arc

• 24 May 2020
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2

Hi I’ve just preordered a Sonos Arc and I’ve just received a Samsung Q95T which is a TV which has its brains in a separate ‘one connect’ box that sits separate to the TV allowing the TV to be thinner. 

The one connect box has all the plugs for the TV including HDMI. So I need to run a HDMI cable 5m form the one connect box to my soon to arrive Sonos Arc. 

Should I be looking out for a specific brand or type of HDMI cable? 

Many thanks 

icon

Best answer by controlav 25 May 2020, 16:06

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi @cambjones 

Don’t be fooled by the hype pushed by HDMI cable manufacturers. The latest spec for HDMI cable is 2.1. There is no need to waste money on a cable costing $70_USD or more versus a $10_USD cable. As long as the HDMI cable spec is 2.0 or 2.1 you’re good to go. Most will be labeled as High Speed HDMI. It’s really your TV that determines if its capable of accepting UHD and/or 4K video over HDMI.

Edit: At 5 meters you’re pushing the upper limits for distance before signal degradation which is about 7 meters. You’ll may have to special order your cable.

I Havee found a good resource for information about HDMI cables and length concerns to be bluejeanscable.com

Userlevel 2

Thanks for the replies. I think I might be able to get away with 4m so I’ll go as short as I can although it’s only for sound for my Sonos Arc not for 4K video for my TV. I have an old HDMI cable I found which is about 4 years old labelled Pure AV on the plugs and stamped High Speed HDMI cable with ethernet #38252 on the cable, but I’m not sure if that is good enough. As I’m putting it behind walls, not to be touched again I might just buy a new one to be safe. 

Thanks for the help. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Be sure to test the cable a bunch BEFORE you put it behind the wall forever.