What Streaming Media Devices have Audio Out to connect to Sonos?

• 24 June 2018
  • 5 replies

Badge
I have all my sound in my home connected to Sonos, except AppleTV, which doesn't have an audio out. We primarily watch netflix, so can't use the nice surround sound, and instead use the TV speakers.

Should I get a different media streaming device? Or what are my options to watch netflix via a streaming device and connect the audio to my sonos system?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

What Sonos devices do you have?

For instance, the PLAYBAR, PLAYBASE, and BEAM all have connections that work with the optical out on a TV, so that you could use netflix to your TV and have the surround sound of a 5.1 system.
Badge
I have plenty of non-Sonos speakers. The only Sonos components I have are 4 Connect:Amps.
Badge
I tried buying a optical out to RCA convertor on Amazon, and the sound quality was pretty garbage unfortunately. Not sure if that's a typical experience or not..
Ah, I see. The CONNECT:AMPs would only have a stereo input. I'd recommend looking at adding a PLAYBAR, PLAYBASE, or BEAM, which would be able to take the dolby digital signal from your TV set.
Badge
Gotcha, okay, I'll look into that. Thanks for your help!