What speakers should I get for my new condo?

• 18 September 2021
  • 3 replies

Hi everyone,

First time Sonos purchaser here! I recently purchased my very first condo and am hoping to have a Sonos setup in order to bring the music I love to life. I’d really appreciate this community’s help coming up with the ideal Sonos setup + which speakers I should buy. Details on my music preferences, condo size, and pictures are below:

Music

• Spend most of my day listening to music so it’s a big part of my life and would want crystal clear and undistorted sound even at high volumes
  • Would love to have bass included
  • Genres: dance/electronic/deep house, hip-hop, r&b, neo soul

Condo

• Size: 627 Sq.ft, 1-bed
  • Pictures and floor plans attached

Budget

• Budget is roughly $2,500 CAD
  • Ideally I’d like sound throughout the Condo (living area, bedroom, kitchen, bathroom, balcony) but if this blows my budget, then I’m happy just focusing on the Living/Dinning/Kitchen area

Thanks for your help in advance!

Floor Plan
Entrance
Living + Dining
Living + Dining
Living + Dining
Living + Dining
Living + Dining
Living + Dining
Bedroom
Bathroom
Balcony

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7

Living Room (option 1) - Sonos Beam (Gen 2) connected to your TV + Sonos Sub (although the Sub might bother the neighbors)

Living Room (option 2 if you don’t want a soundbar for your TV) - Two Sonos Fives

Kitchen - Sonos Move (this is portable so it can be taken outside to your balcony)

Bathroom - Sonos One or One SL

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Bedroom - one (or two) Ikea Symfonisk(s) (so you won’t break the bank).

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

To help you choose between options 1 & 2 for the Living Room, consider watching YouTube’er “Peter Pee”: his “Upgrade the Sonos Arc with a Sub? Or a pair of Fives?” video, though not 100% on-point for the Beam, will give you an idea of what to listen for at (e.g.) a BestBuy Sonos store display.  (Likewise his “Sonos Fives vs Sonos Ones w/ Sub. Which is better?”)  Planning ahead for when you have the spare cash if you choose option 2, Pee’s “Sonos Five w/ Sub? Does it make a difference?” is worthwhile given that you listen to a lot of house/dub.

Regarding the two suggestions above: Maybe swap the Kitchen/Bath so the Move takes the humidity in the bathroom and the One takes the grease in the kitchen?  And the idea of bedroom speakers, though perhaps unnecessary sound-wise in 600 sq.ft, allows you to close the sliders when you cook, and *keep* them closed, including overnight thru the next morning’s wake-up music.  There’s nothing worse than bedroom linens that can’t shake the smell of curry -- when you open the sliders next morning you’ll discover how well/poorly the developer did the HVAC & exhaust.  (Change that hallway return air filter often, and consider 3M’s “Filtrete MPR 1200 Odor Reduction” activated carbon filters!;-)

P.S.  Thanks for posting pix, @JesseSaini , it makes answering what-should-I-buy questions a pleasure.