Question

What Sonos product connects to both my TV and my turntable

• 26 December 2018
  • 1 reply

I have 2 Sonos Play:1s currently that I wish to use as speakers for my Bravia smart TV and a turntable with built in pre amp. I have been looking at play:5s and connect/connect amps but not sure what is the best product that satisfies both my requirements at the same time. No time lag as man suggested would be great. I might be adding the Sonos sub in the future as well.

Also, the new Sonos amp is out of my price range so that is not the best option.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

As the Amp is outside your price range, my suggestion here is to perhaps do the upgrade in stages. I would start with the TV connection first and go with the Beam for now, which will connect to the TV either via HDMI-ARC, or Optical cable. It will also 'bond' to your Play:1’s, which I recommend you set to 'Full' audio out for music purposes in the Apps room settings. You can later add the sub to that setup too at some future point.

Benefits here are:
It’s within your price range
No TV audio delay to any speakers in the bonded setup
You get 5.0 Dolby Digital surround sound (5.1 when you add sub)
Great stereo separation for music and TV audio
AirPlay capability (stream any compatible app to the Beam & surrounds)
Alexa, (Siri and Google) voice control

Downside is no connection for your turntable.. but you maybe able to run that temporarily via a line-in audio connection on your TV.

Then I would save for either a new or second hand Sonos Play 5: and utilise that in another room with the Turntable attached. You can then play your vinyls to both rooms or any of your hundreds of Sonos sources to both rooms too... if the room is large enough you can later add another Play 5 and make that into a stereo pair, for far better separation and sound in that other room.

Hope the above suggestion gives you some ideas and Happy Holidays and New Year ?