What should I buy for Sonos patio series outdoor 4.1 speaker system?

• 24 October 2022
  • 9 replies

We purchased a home that has a fairly new Sonance patio series speaker system (four speakers and subwoofer) already installed and the wiring is already run through a wall and located inside the house.  The previous owners took the amp or whatever they were using with them. I just have the set of four wires (all labeled coming through the wall from the outside speakers). I want to power the speaker system and also be able to stream music. We have high speed internet so we can connect using WiFi signal to the amp/receiver. Which Sonos product or combination of products would be best to accomplish my goal of powering the speakers and stream music to the speakers?  Maybe controlled by the Sonos app?  I am new to Sonos so the easiest and most understandable solution would be greatly appreciated. I can provide photos if helpful.  Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @MountainMan500 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

It sounds to me like you just need a Sonos Amp. You can connect all 4 speakers to it (2 to each set of terminals) and a third-party active subwoofer can also be connected via a co-axial, RCA-type connector - please ensure all 4 speakers have an 8 Ohm impedance rating first, however. This would result in all 4 (5 including the Sub) speakers playing together. If you want individual control over each pair, you’d need a second Amp or a third-party switch between the Amp and the speakers.

You can then stream music from a number of sources - essentially any major music service, online radio, AirPlay, Line-In (RCA stereo), an Android device’s music library, music stored on a computer or on a Network Attached Storage device, or from a TV via HDMI. Amp has plenty of power at 125 watts (RMS) per channel.

At a later date, you could add to your Sonos system with other players/speakers and synchronise playback, or play separate sources to each. All can be controlled from the Sonos app, which you can install on as many phone/tablet/computer devices as you like.

Please feel free to add a photo of the wires/connectors you have if you want to make sure, or to ask any other questions.

If you do purchase Sonos, you may find my article handy:

I hope this helps.

Thank you so much for your prompt and helpful response. I have attached a photo of the wires connected to the Sonos patio series speaker system.  There are four wires (2 left and 2 right) and I hope they installed it correctly because I do not see a separate wire for the subwoofer.  Not sure what “-ve” and +ve” signify, maybe you do.  Would the color of the wires indicate how I should connect them to the amp?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @MountainMan500 

I believe +ve is positive and -ve is negative.

The two -ve wires would connect to black terminals on the Amp, whereas the +ve wires would connect to the red terminals on the Amp.

Is the Subwoofer made by Sonos? If so, it will not need a cable to connect to an Amp, but it will need to be within WiFi range of it. I assumed it was third-party as a Sonos Sub shouldn’t live outside.

I hope this helps.

Edit: made a mistake, removed it

I believe the package of speakers and Amps the previous owner was using is a package that Best Buy sells with  4.1 Sonance speakers and Sonos amp, which isn’t technically supported by Sonos due to how the wiring is done.  The speakers and sub present an 8 ohm load to the amp because of how the speakers are designed.  This (connecting speakers and sub) would not work with typical outdoor speakers, where you would only have the option of 2 or 4 speakers, no sub.

So yes, the previous owner took the amp with them, and you should be able to replace with another Sonos amp.   Connecting the speakers as labeled and as @Corry P explained should work just fine….but again, it’s not a technically supportted setup.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Superb!

I think @melvimbe has hit the nail on the head for you there, @MountainMan500 

Thank you Corry and melvimbe for your helpful replies.  Yes, I believe the subwoofer is a Sonos (Sonance) product.  The following link is exactly the product that came installed (with the exception of the amp that was removed.)  https://www.sonance.com/outdoor/patio-series/patio-series-system.  So, if I understand your comments and instructions correctly, I just need to purchase a Sonance DSP SR 2-125 Amplifier and hook up the speakers according to Corry’s instructions.  However, I was a bit confused about melvimbe’s comment that it would not be a technically supported setup.  Could you provide more elaboration?  Also, would this specific amp allow me to stream music via wifi (such as Alexa) or bluetooth (using Sonos app), or do I need a different version of the amp?  Again, thanks in advance for your assistance.  I really appreciate it.

Sonos and Sonance are not the same company.  They are two different companies that both create audio products and to collaborate on some products.  Sonos makes wireless ‘smart’ audio speakers and amps, essentially.   Sonance makes passive speakers (no amp built into speaker, require wires) and amps.  Both companies do have a partnership in place to pair The Sonos amp with specific Sonance passive speakers, and those packages are sold on the Sonos site.

The link patio speakers on the Sonance site you link to don’t have anything to do with Sonos, and you would not be able to control the Sonance amplifier via the Sonos app.  

To complicate matters further, Best Buy sells a the package of Sonos amp and Sonoance speakers (my link above) that isn’t really sponsored by Sonos or Sonance.  I have no doubt that it works, but again, it’s not technically supported...here’s the support document on connecting speakers to the Sonos amp.  The speakers are wired in series, which Sonos doesn’t support.

So back to your specific case, it looks like you have the Sonance speaker package, without any amp to power them.  Honestly, you could get the Sonance amp that comes in the package you link,  but you would have no wireless control of it.  You could get the Sonos amp, and that would give you wireless control.  Honestly, just about any amp/receiver will work with these speakers , as they present an 8 ohm load to the amp...which is standard.  Just use an amp made for vehicles or marines as those can be different.  Obviously, Sonos is a solid choice, but not the only one.

Thank you melvimbe.  I appreciate your expertise and candid comments.  To be honest, I am really confused and will hire a professional in my area to hook all of this up.  It may cost me a bit more than expected but I am not sure I can do it all and get it up and running the way I want.  Again, thanks.  

Thank you melvimbe.  I appreciate your expertise and candid comments.  To be honest, I am really confused and will hire a professional in my area to hook all of this up.  It may cost me a bit more than expected but I am not sure I can do it all and get it up and running the way I want.  Again, thanks.  

Ok, if you go that route, then I would find one that has worked with Sonos before and let them know that you most likely want a Sonos amp and already have your speakers.  That way they can bring an amp with them and get it installed (about 10 minutes maybe) and tell you how to control it in a single visit.  Here’s a link to Sonos installers

Honestly though, this is a lot easier then you probably think.  I would bet if you went and got an amp yourself, you would get it setup in about 10 minutes and be very happy with the result.  The previous owner did most of the work for you.

Hi @MountainMan500 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

It sounds to me like you just need a Sonos Amp. You can connect all 4 speakers to it (2 to each set of terminals) and a third-party active subwoofer can also be connected via a co-axial, RCA-type connector - please ensure all 4 speakers have an 8 Ohm impedance rating first, however. This would result in all 4 (5 including the Sub) speakers playing together. If you want individual control over each pair, you’d need a second Amp or a third-party switch between the Amp and the speakers.

You can then stream music from a number of sources - essentially any major music service, online radio, AirPlay, Line-In (RCA stereo), an Android device’s music library, music stored on a computer or on a Network Attached Storage device, or from a TV via HDMI. Amp has plenty of power at 125 watts (RMS) per channel.

At a later date, you could add to your Sonos system with other players/speakers and synchronise playback, or play separate sources to each. All can be controlled from the Sonos app, which you can install on as many phone/tablet/computer devices as you like.

Please feel free to add a photo of the wires/connectors you have if you want to make sure, or to ask any other questions.

If you do purchase Sonos, you may find my article handy:

I hope this helps.

Sonance Garden Series borrows performance design elements from the industry-leading Sonance Landscape Series products and creates a smaller scale system ideal for outdoor areas up to 3,500 square feet. Sonance Garden Series is the perfect balance of performance and simplicity in an outdoor audio system. Sonance Patio Series 4.1 Speaker System includes 4 satellite speakers and one in-ground subwoofer all powered from a single Sonance DSP amplifier. Provides coverage up to 1000 square feet (93 square meters)—ideal for fire-pits, small patios or hot tub areas.