Wait or purchase? - SUB

• 8 June 2018
  • 3 replies

Hi all,

I'm currently orientating on purchasing a 5.1 system with the new Sonos Beam, two Sonos One's and a Sonos Sub.

Now my guestion is, should I wait with the Sub? Out of these items the Sub will be the biggest investment, yet the one not supporting HDMI ARC and voice recognition.

It would be a pity to have a '2018 system' running with an out of date Sub within the near future, limiting the possibilities of the overall system.

Of course Sonos will not share their roadmap.... Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12
As far as I know sub is a slave of the beam so it does not need any HDMI CEC or voice recognition.
This should be the same as with playbar and playbase.
A Sonos Sub, like any other sub (except it's Sonos) does one thing - It plays deep bass. It does not require HDMI, ARC, CEC, Alexa, or anything else, those things are functions of the other speakers. It simply needs to bond with other Sonos devices, which it does quite well.
Badge
Once you have heard the 'extra' of the Sub, you don't want to live without it. One day after I bought my Play:5 I went to the store to buy a Sub as well. It costs, but it is definitive worth the money. 🙂