Answered

Voice control Play 1 with Beam

• 19 November 2018
  • 2 replies

Hi there,

I have a Sonos Beam with my TV and am considering turning it into a stereo setup by adding two Play 1s or two Ones. As far as I understand the main difference between the Play 1 and One would be voice control. However, wouldn't it be possible for me to group the three device and then voice control the group using the Beam, or am I missing something here?

Thanks in advance!
icon

Best answer by jgatie 19 November 2018, 20:52

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

If you bond them together as a 5.0 surround system, the Play:1 vs One means nothing, because all commands will be heard via the Beam. If you wish to use them as stereo across the front, note that would be a grouping, and the L/R pair will be delayed with respect to the Beam when playing TV sources.

But you are correct, if you group them, the Alexa commands will be carried out on the group. Also, say you named the two Play:1's "Living Room Stereo". Even if it was not grouped, you can tell Alexa "Alexa, play smooth jazz on the Living Room Stereo" and she will direct the sound to those units.
Thanks so much! This clears it up, two Play 1s ordered!