Answered

Using Sonos Amp instead of Connect with turntable and only Sonos speakers

• 14 July 2019
  • 4 replies

Hi folks,

I’ve had a look around on the forums for an answer to this, but couldn’t find one to a similar issue. I’m looking to replace my very old stereo amp and bookshelf speakers with a Sonos Beam to connect to my TV, with potentially a couple of One’s for rears and a Sub down the road.

I have some vinyl and I’d like to hook up a turntable (and preamp if necessary) at some point as well.

Is it possible to connect the turntable to a Sonos Amp and use that with the other Sonos speakers above? i.e. no external/ third-party speakers wired to the Amp?

Would I add the Amp to the existing room, or create a new room and group the two whenever I want to listen to vinyl?

Is there any way to only play vinyl through the Beam to get a (more or less) stereo sound, or will the vinyl effectively play in 5.1?

I know a Sonos Connect is probably the more suitable option here, but frankly it doesn’t look as nice as the Sonos Amp!

Thanks for your help.
icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 15 July 2019, 18:12

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Is it possible to connect the turntable to a Sonos Amp and use that with the other Sonos speakers above? i.e. no external/ third-party speakers wired to the Amp?
Yes, When you set up the Amp you would designate a Sonos speaker or Stereo pair as the auto play room. If a Beam with surrounds was set as the auto play room the surrounds would join as they are bonded to the Beam. The Same applies for a sub that may be bonded as well

Would I add the Amp to the existing room, or create a new room and group the two whenever I want to listen to vinyl?
The Sonos Amp would be named as a separate room as would the Beam

Is there any way to only play vinyl through the Beam to get a (more or less) stereo sound, or will the vinyl effectively play in 5.1?
If you do not use surrounds with the Beam it will be the only speaker used. If you are looking for true stereo sound with discrete Left/Right separation the Beam will not provide that experience; as well as two Sonos speakers set as a stereo pair.

You would not get DD5.1 as vinyl is only recorded in Stereo

Note: Surrounds used with the Beam can be set to auto switch to Full on speakers when music is played and auto switch back to surround mode when the music stops. As I said the option to implement the feature is yours.

I know a Sonos Connect is probably the more suitable option here, but frankly it doesn’t look as nice as the Sonos Amp!
The Sonos Amp will provide more versatility if you later decide to connect a set of 3rd party speakers and play your vinyl through them. You can also add a Sonos or 3rd party sub if you wish.

Note: Any turn table used must be pre-amped either via outboard or internally built-in.

I hope this helps. Cheers!
Thanks for your helpful information!

If you do not use surrounds with the Beam it will be the only speaker used. If you are looking for true stereo sound with discrete Left/Right separation the Beam will not provide that experience; as well as two Sonos speakers set as a stereo pair.
You would not get DD5.1 as vinyl is only recorded in Stereo

Sorry, I wasn’t very clear! I know vinyl is recorded in stereo/mono; I meant will the turntable play through all speakers if the Beam is paired with surrounds and a Sub (I.E. play through the surrounds and Sub, as well as the Beam - “5.1” without the discrete audio per channel), or will it only play through the Beam as the source only has a stereo/mono track? I assume it’s the former as that’s how I’ve experienced mono on stereo systems (the same track on both channels).

Cheers.
Hi. Although it would work, IMO it would be an insane waste of money to buy an Amp and use it purely for the line in. Consider using an Amp with your existing speakers instead of a Beam.
Userlevel 7
Sorry, I wasn’t very clear! I know vinyl is recorded in stereo/mono; I meant will the turntable play through all speakers if the Beam is paired with surrounds and a Sub (I.E. play through the surrounds and Sub, as well as the Beam - “5.1” without the discrete audio per channel), or will it only play through the Beam as the source only has a stereo/mono track? I assume it’s the former as that’s how I’ve experienced mono on stereo systems (the same track on both channels).

To be more precise....

Playing a stereo source through a Beam will only use the Left/Right channels as the Center channel will be silent (i.e. no material sent). The Beam would channel the low end to the sub if used. The surrounds for all practical purposes would be silent (maybe just a faint sound) unless you have them set to go Full On speakers when playing music. Using Sonos speakers in stereo pair with/without sub or 3rd party speakers with/without sub attached to the Amp will deliver the best stereo reproduction and sound stage.

Cheers!