Upgrade or Boost

Badge

I have the 5 Gen 1 speaker.  The bridge stopped working.  Should I replace with boost or upgrade to the newest Sonos system?  If I don’t get the boost I know I can directly plug my router into the speaker but I won’t be able to move the speaker around the house.  Can I bypass the router completely by using my phone’s network to access the internet?  Thank you.  

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Replace the BRIDGE with a BOOST, be sure to install S1 on it. 

Unless you set up the PLAY:5 to use the line in before removing it from your internet, you can’t really use it. 

If you’re thinking about using your phone as a hotspot, you’d need a second device to connect to the hotspot and control the Sonos, you can not use the phone as both a hotspot and a controller at the same time. 

Userlevel 7

Why can’t you just connect the Play:5 to your existing WiFi network?

Sonos units now can also work directly in WiFi mode, not needing any to be wired to the router.

See this for how to move to WiFi mode:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3209?language=en_US

Badge

Thanks for the quick replies everyone.   Kumar, I will check that link out and hopefully I can figure it out.  All of this is really over my head.  I called customer support today and the person I spoke with didn’t sound very knowledgeable at all.  I think he was trying to walk me through wifi mode but he sounded like he was reading from a script. He sounded confused himself and kind of gave up and just told me to replace the bridge.  GuitarSuperstar: If I connect my router to the speaker I won’t be able to move the speaker to where I listen to it.  

Paula  

@Troyer : it is quite simple, the link sets out clear steps. Just remember to start the process with the 5 unit wired to the router. At the end of the process, you have to remove the wire…

GuitarSuperstar: If I connect my router to the speaker I won’t be able to move the speaker to where I listen to it.  

He meant connect it wirelessly over the WiFi; per the how to in the three step process in the link I sent.

Badge

Okay.  Thank you very much!