Two Sonos Amps vs Amp plus Port

• 11 June 2021
  • 4 replies

I am setting up a new system. My options for amplification include two Sonos amps or a Sonos port with a Russound D850 4 zone

This will drive two Martin Logan tower speakers and 4 in ceiling speakers and possibly subwoofer.

Any advice? Better sound with either? $300 more to go with the two Sonos vs other

)Sorry for “aonos” -won’t let me edit title)

thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Well, I don’t know the kit involved, so can’t comment on sound quality.

However, these days I think that it’s a good idea to split the streaming side, which is constantly evolving, from the hardware side (the amps and speakers). In this way, even if you decide to change the steaming method in the future, you don’t have to change most of your kit. If anything goes wrong with the amp/speaker side, you have total flexibility over what you replace it with.

Just to clarify,

Decision is between:

2 Sonos amps

or

Russound amp plus Sonos port

Just to clarify,

Decision is between:

2 Sonos amps

or

Russound amp plus Sonos port

I don’t see the need for clarification… How does that clash with anything that I said? Unless it wasn’t clear that I was preferring the latter option….

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Is this for a single space? Two Amps will give you the option of different streams in the two zones, but obviously not relevant if it’s one open area. Amps will also allow you to bring your TV into the system if that matters to you.