Two rear speaker pairs or zones

• 11 October 2018
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
Recently we added another couch to our living room and now only one sitting area has rear speakers. I would like to see the ability to add another rear speaker pair.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Do you mean as a second pair of surround speakers connected to a Sonos soundbar? Or just as another stereo pair of speakers for music?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You can't add more surrounds - you could add a speaker or speakers by the other couch as a separate stereo zone you can group in and play as needed.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I guess you could actually - get a Sonos Amp. Run 2 left surround speakers off the left output and 2 right surrounds off the right output. Therefore you actually would have 2 sets of surround speakers. Key hear is you would have to run wired speakers from a Sonos Amp located between your 2 couches.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I have a sonos amp and yes I could group in 2 other speakers but that won't give me the rear sounds. It will give me front speaker sound. It would be nice if they could create a way to add extra rear speaker. The 2 suggestions you gave would give me front sounds not rear sound.
DenverOps,

No, Chis is correct, the Connect:Amp can only operate as rear surrounds in a 5.0/5.1 setup? As explained here...

Setting up CONNECT:AMP as surround speakers
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Of course I was correct.
I think people may not realise that the front left/right surrounds are incorporated in the PlayBar, Beam, PlayBase, alongside the center channel.
nevermind, Ken beat me to it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The new Sonos amp will be much more useful for surrounds since it won’t require an Ethernet connection to router or playbar.
Userlevel 1
Badge
It's a sloppy option but I guess it could work. I will give it a try since my sonos amp is used for my outdoor speaker and since it's winter I won't be listening outside much.

It would still be cool if they built this into the app. 🙂
DenverOps,

Yes, i believe it was stated in the thread, when the new Sonos Amp was announced a few weeks ago, that the new Sonos Amp will drive four 8 ohm speakers (per Amp) upto 125w per channel, so four front and four rear, that’s if two Amps are used for Home Theatre purposes ... obviously with one sub.

The 'main' front Amp connecting to the TV over HDMI-ARC and producing a phantom center channel.

Also, as Chris states, there will no longer be any need to have the new rear Sonos Amp cabled, it will simply work over WiFi. Your older CA will still need to be wired as it doesn’t have a much needed 5ghz radio built into it.

That type of multi-speaker setup perhaps would sound good if a user maybe has 4 ceiling speakers aswell as 4 standalone passive ones in appropriate positions in the room. Not that I would ever need that sort of output in my modest sized lounge at home.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Sweet!!!!