Answered

Turntable to Speaker via WiFi

• 24 January 2021
  • 5 replies

Hey All,#

I have Sonos-5 speaker and a Project Turntable with built-in pre-amp.

The speaker and turntable are on opposite sides of the room and was wondering what bit of Sonos kit do i need to send the sound to the speaker via wifi? 

Can I plug the turntable into the Sonos Amp or Connect and stream to the speaker and if yes which is better out of the two?

Cheers

icon

Best answer by John B 24 January 2021, 14:40

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Hi.

WiFi isn't an option as the turntable isn't WiFi enabled.

Unless you intend to use the Amp with a pair of passive speakers, it would be a waste of money. The Connect has been replaced by the Port.  You could try to pick up a gen 2 Connect second hand.

You might instead consider getting another Five to make a stereo pair if that works with the layout.

Thanks for getting back to me John,

Does the Port’ not send sound over to the speaker via Wi-Fi?

So Basically, Turntable into Port - Port to Sonos 5 Speaker via Wi-Fi?

Cheers

Jody

Yes it does. I am just pointing out that the Port is a ridiculously large amount of money to pay just to get a line in, as the line in is just a subsidiary feature of the Port.

I thought initially that you hoped to send audio direct from turntable but I think I misread your intention. 

Good point.££££:disappointed: .

Thanks again John.

Appreciate you getting back to me so quickly.

Jody

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Port or used Connect would indeed do the job, but as was said - overkill. Assuming it’s impossible/aesthetically repugnant to just run a very long cable, have you considered a Bluetooth transceiver pair, since it’s all in one room? Transmitter attached to turntable, receiver connected to the line in on the Five.