Answered

turntable - stereo pair - port or five

• 17 October 2022
  • 4 replies

Hi all, 

home has multiple Sonos products, many in stereo pairs. 

I was going to add a turntable with pre-amp to the mix and I wanted to have those in stereo pair as well. My questions are:

A: if I go with the Five, do the stereo pairs need to be close to have a split rca cable to separate left and right channels? And this would lead to longer runs of the cables if this was the case. 

B: should go with 2 Fives and a port to run the turntable to the audio in, and from there can I arrange stereo pairs with the fives via wifi

C: if I go with B, and the room is 20’x20’ are the fives in stereo pair too much and should consider one(s)?

bonus question: will the analog output of the turntable, sound better direct from turntable to five, instead of converting to digital and using Wi-Fi for the signal and thus throw everything out the window and go for 1 five with direct input. 

thanks for considering sharing your opinion!

allan 

icon

Best answer by buzz 17 October 2022, 00:21

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Unless the speaker is used as a rear surround, any Line-In will connect both channels of the turntable to the SONOS system. This Line-In is simply a network resource that can play in any combination of SONOS “Rooms”. It is possible, but not required, for the turntable to play in the unit where it is connected.

It doesn’t matter if the FIVE with the Line-In is a single unit or “Bonded” as a pair.

PLAY:3 and ONE’s do not offer Line-In.

Given your room size, I think that a pair of FIVE’s is more appropriate than a single pair of ONE’s or PLAY:3’s.

Consider adding a SUB.

Thanks for the reply. 

then I’ll pick up a pair of fives, do line in to one of them, and pair the 2 fives as a stereo pair. 

last question. 

there is a sub in the room as well paired to an Arc. Can the sub be paired as part of the stereo pair, as well as the arc, depending on which I am using?

Yes, and no. With  two caveats. You are not able to have that Sub be part of two rooms, depending on which is in use. 

It will be a lot of keystrokes each time you un-bond and re-bond the Sub to each ‘room’ in the Sonos software, and you will lose any TruePlay you may have done at the time. Most people find it onerous to do so, and you’ll find many threads asking Sonos to allow a single Sub to be part of multiple rooms simultaneously.

Bah humbug :/