Turntable connected to a Sonos Port or better solution?

• 2 November 2020
  • 5 replies

I currently have a Sonos Amp with a Denon CD player connected to it, works perfectly. I’m thinking of investing in a turntable to play albums I recently got as presents and dusting off my old collected. The question relates to purchasing a turntable more than likely the Pro-Ject T1 Phono turntable, will this work with a Sonos Port as the existing Sonos Amp has the CD player connected to it. 

Are there any potential issues or just straight forward setup, or is there a better setup?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Yes, this configuration will work, as long as the turntable has a preamplifier built in, or you put an external preamplifier between the turntable and the port. Some T1s apparently have built in preamps, some don’t, so make sure you verify this before purchasing one and plan the configuration around it.

An RCA switch costing £/$10 would be fairly straightforward.  If you pay a bit more you should be able to get one that autoswitches as it detects a source. Then you can play either through your Amp.

IMO buying a Port just for a line in would be an insane waste of money in your situation. 

An RCA switch costing £/$10 would be fairly straightforward.  If you pay a bit more you should be able to get one that autoswitches as it detects a source. Then you can play either through your Amp.

IMO buying a Port just for a line in would be an insane waste of money in your situation. 

Never thought of that option - thanks John

Never thought of that option - thanks John

John, do you have a suggestion on an RCA switch I should use - Manual or Automatic? 

Not really.  I have not used an RCA switch so I would just be googling it as you would be..

This is the sort of thing I had in mind.

https://www.cables4all.co.uk/2-port-rca-switch-box---audio-with-manual-switching-1377-p.asp

You may find that automatic switching is not easy to find.

I have used optical switches and it is useful to have a switch with a remote control.

A completely different approach would be to rip your CDs to a computer or NAS and dispense with the CD player. That is really how Sonos is designed to be used.