Trade-up for previously registered products

• 24 December 2020
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

I’ve got a small system with two ZP90’s, one Bridge and a CR200, and I want to upgrade all of it to three Ports and a Boost.

This is fine for all except one of the ZP90’s, which was previously owned by someone else. That owner viewed the “Upgrade” option for that unit, and it showed as being eligible for upgrade in his account, though he did NOT choose to upgrade it.

Problem is that when installed in my system and viewed in my account it doesn’t show as eligible for upgrade.

Please can anyone advise - if he chooses “transfer system ownership” to my account, will that resolve the problem?

Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

This is a user forum and I think you will have to contact Sonos directly to get a definitive answer.  My recollection is that the eventual position was that if the original owner claimed the upgrade entitlement then it stayed with the original owner and could not be transferred.  Note that this did not necessarily mean actually using the 30% discount to buy a product, just accepting the upgrade entitlement.

But I may be misremembering, or it may have changed - you really need to talk to Sonos.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Ok - thanks. I guess the thing I don’t understand is what the “Transfer system ownership” option actually does!

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

It removes the device from the old owner’s account and adds it to yours.

As far as I can tell the discount from the Trade-Up program isn’t transferred and remains available to the original (trading) user.

As suggested a call to Sonos may help. Have the original owner’s contact info handy.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

As far as I can tell the discount from the Trade-Up program isn’t transferred and remains available to the original (trading) user.

Thanks, but even Sonos support employees don’t seem to know the answer to this.

I chatted to a very helpful Sonos support person yesterday, and asked if the eligibility transfers across and she said “it should do” rather than “yes”.

Just to be clear, this question is about eligibility, not the discount itself. The original owner has the unit flagged in his account as eligible, but has not applied to have the discount applied to his account. I’m fairly sure that there is a difference between these two situations, but I don’t know for sure.

Using the “Transfer system ownership” is a blunt tool anyway. It may be usable if the original owner had a very simple system and no longer uses it, but if not it won’t solve the problem, because any components he still owns/uses will end up being “owned” by someone else!

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Just to finish this thread off: I did not actually need to contact anyone in the end. I re-checked two days later and the unit status had been updated to show as “eligible”. I’ve no idea what triggered this - perhaps there is an overnight/periodic process which updates their database, or perhaps it was updated by the support rep that I spoke to. Whichever, it sorted itself out and I didn’t need to ask the previous owner to transfer his whole system to me, thankfully!