To Play Music in Dining Room: 2 Sonos Ones or 1 Beam?

• 7 June 2018
  • 9 replies

Badge
I am new to Sonos. I was planning to purchase 2 Sonos One speakers to add music to my dining room/kitchen area, but with the release of Sonos Beam, I am wondering if I should go for that instead.
Note: If the Play:5 had smart speaker functionality (which I am pretty sure is on its way), that would be my choice.
Note: I know it's too early to talk about the Beam, but I figure people with Sonos experience may have an opinion nonetheless.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12
I would go 2 sones ones. Especially if you can get good stereo speration for the speakerif space is tight then the beam looks like a good option. But no one really knows how the beam sounds right now. It is a very Compact bar. And has small drivers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
If you just want it for music, then stereo sonos ones would be my choice.
If you want to attach it to a tv, then maybe the beam to keep pictures & sound in sync.
Badge
I want this for music only. The separation between the two Sonos Ones would be approx 7-8 feet.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Good questions - I have to hear the beam to answer.

If I use the playbar as example - it creates more of a surround sound to music. Kinda like a Dolby Prologic DSP kind of mode. I like the sound and probably in a dining room that all filling sound may be a good choice. But its not a stereo separation like you would have with pair of stereo speakers.
I can't help but wonder what the beamwould sound like mounted under a kitchen cabinet. Takes up no counter space, Alexa helps out with recipies and timers.

Not a great idea, i know, but it remains in my head regardless.

I do think OPs question will be a common one though. Because of its size, design to fill a big space, and price, people will consdier it as a non tv option.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
I want this for music only. The separation between the two Sonos Ones would be approx 7-8 feet.

That spacing will give you very good stereo speration with 2 ones. For what you want to uses the speakers for. The ones will do a better job with music I think.
If the listening distance is also about the same from both speakers, the separate units are the proven way to go. I can't see the Beam sounding better, though it is too soon to say if it will sound just as good.
Userlevel 1
Definitely the two sonos One package. While the beam is large, two sonos Ones will give you a stero sound! The beam would be great for your living room though. Also I think it’ll be cheaper than the beam!
I purchased the beam and listened to it for a few minutes and put it back in the box. It doesn’t sound any better than one Sonos one. The two Sonos Ones sound better.