Skip to main content
Question

surround vs arc

• 22 May 2024
  • 3 replies

So. Lived in cheap rental. Got 55"tv, sonos beam gen 2 and sub mini. That was eargasm compared to what i was listening before.

Fast forward not 2 years later, bought a small flat.  Now im sitting about 1m further away from tv with sofa right in the corner against the wall. And now i just dont LOVE my setup. Now dont get me wrong, still a big upgrade from tv, but feels like i have to turn sound up too much to get the same effect. And beam just feels... smaller? sub still shakes the window easily so not looking to upgrade that.

My sofa is maybe a couple inches from the back wall and maybe 20cm from side wall. 

So my question is. If i want…. More. do i have space for surrounds? Would 300’s be wasted in less  than ideal placement? should i get 100? i cant move sofa forward. Maybe just a little to the side.

Or i have no space for surrounds and i should upgrade to arc?

For lack of better words, im looking for ‘bigger’? sound so i can listen quieter and still be happy. mostly video streaming, gaming and occasional spotify.

Oh yes, we dont have iphone. on ipad trueplay appeared  2 updates ago an still doesnt work. (yes, tried reinstalling, reseting, etc) 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I have a pair of Era 100s with a Beam 1 and Sub Mini and that sounds pretty good.

Took a while to get the balance right adjusting the Sub and Surround volumes but that was not hard. Not adjusted this in the new app but it looks like the function is there.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I have a pair of Era 100s with a Beam 1 and Sub Mini and that sounds pretty good.

Took a while to get the balance right adjusting the Sub and Surround volumes but that was not hard. Not adjusted this in the new app but it looks like the function is there.

But the question is, is there a space for surround?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Well.. fast forward, got set of era 300 on the way. Weirdly, got one today, one will come on wednesday. (Got them for almost 30% off) so far im kind of impressed. Somehow i havent figured out how to test era with tv, but on spotify im impressed. Beats beam in everything but 2 things. 

1. Voice. Beam in my opinion beats era 300 out of the water on voice clarity. 

2. Added sub mini weirdly has way less bass. 

Sigh.. if arch sounds as good as era... thats a rabbit hole im heading in...