Surround Sounds with Beam and Play:1

• 26 December 2020
  • 2 replies

• Contributor I
  • 0 replies

Hello - 

My parents have a Beam, Sonos One and Sonos Play:1. The idea was to purchase another Play:1 to set up as surround sound (I understand you can’t use the One and Play for surround sound). We just learned the Play is being discontinued so wondering if it’s even worth it to purchase the refurbished version. 

The other option would be to purchase another One and use that as surround sound. They currently have the One in the kitchen as a separate speaker. 

Not really sure the best route to go. Kind of frustrated over the situation. I don’t understand why you can’t connect a One and Play as surround sound but that’s another issue. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

While you probably might find a used PLAY:1 somewhere, it might be easier to just get another One, and swap the location of your current One and the PLAY:1, and use the pair of Ones as surround speakers, leaving the PLAY:1 in the kitchen. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The (cheaper) One SL can also be used in a surround set up with the One. You won’t use the microphone on the One in a surround set up with a Beam anyway.