Answered

Surround sound shopping list for projector + Chromecast 4k + Sonos

• 23 October 2021
  • 5 replies

Hi everyone -

I am looking to refine our home theater setup with a full Sonos surround sound system, and I could use a bit of advice.  I’ve seen pieces of this in other threads, but hoping someone can validate my plan here before I start ordering equipment.

Currently I have a BENQ TK800 projector with a Chromecast with Google TV, wired to the line-in on a Sonos Connect feeding to our vintage Macintosh stereo receiver.  I want to go full surround and as wireless as possible. I also have a sentimental attachment to the Macintosh.

Here’s what I am thinking:

• Chromecast 4k plugged into HDFury Arcana
  • Arcana eARC → Sonos Amp
  • Sonos Amp Speakers → Macintosh AUX inputs (stereo phantom center)
  • Arcana HDMI → Wireless HDMI transmitter (OREI WUHD-PRO100-K ?)
  • Wireless HDMI receiver → BENQ projector
  • + Sonos Sub
  • + 2x Sonos One SL for surrounds

Here are my questions:

1. First, I assume I can’t use my old Connect as any part of this and need to replace it with the Amp, right?
  2. Will this setup give me Atmos or just “regular” 5.1 surround?  I’m guessing you only get Atmos with the Arc? 
  3. Is the phantom center even worth bothering with? I’ve heard mixed reviews

Depending on the answers I might ditch the idea of keeping the Macintosh receiver / speakers (with the Amp) in the mix and just go with the Arc.  (I assume there’s no reason to use the Macintosh once the Arc is in play).

Finally, are there any landmines here I’m not thinking about?  I don’t want to buy all this hardware and then realize it doesn’t work.

Thanks a lot!

Matt

icon

Best answer by buzz 24 October 2021, 02:28

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

1.  Amp yes. 

2. 5.1

3. Can't comment myself unfortunately. 

I'd personally just buy the Arc (get the surround set save money) and do away with rest. Will be a much cleaner tidier setup, especially if you already have a HDFury Arcana. 

Smaulio,

Neither CONNECT or the receiver can be used in a SONOS surround room, however, CONNECT could be used as an input to the receiver in another room.

AMP does not support a physical center speaker. Opinions vary with regard to the need for a physical center speaker. In my experience if the L/R speakers image well and are close to the TV, a center channel speaker is redundant.

AMP will always be 4.1, ARC or BEAM will be 5.1. ARC has upward firing speakers for ATMOS, BEAM does not.

AMP will always be 4.1, ARC or BEAM will be 5.1. ARC has upward firing speakers for ATMOS, BEAM does not.

Thanks @buzz!  That sums it up in a nutshell.

Do you happen to know, will streaming content that’s tagged as Atmos downsample / remix properly to a 4.1 setup?  Or if it’s Atmos do you end up getting stereo with a non-Atmos system?

Matt

Oh, and a followup question - I noticed in support docs that if you’re using a Connect:Amp for surround, it needs to be hardwired to the Ethernet?  But I presume if you’re using the newest Amp then it can be all wireless.

Yes, those assumptions are correct.

A CONNECT:AMP when driving surrounds must be Ethernet cabled, a Sonos Amp does not.