Surround set and turntable

• 18 November 2020
  • 3 replies

Hi everyone,

I’m ready to pull the trigger on a surround set (arc + sub + One SL x2), however I’d like to be able to connect my turntable to the system (I’m currently using an old 2000s home theater for it so I would get rid of everything, speaker and cd player/receiver).

My understanding after reading on this is that adding a Port to the mix would allow me to play my turntable on all Sonos speakers in the house (I have a symfonik in the kitchen), except for the two One SLs used for surround, is that the case?

Is there a way to use the One SLs for surround in a movie situation and switch it to stereo for music situation?

Just want to make sure I get it right before pulling the trigger.

Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

All speakers, including the surround speakers. In the room settings for the Arc, there’s a place to adjust the way the surrounds work when playing music versus playing the TV input, just set those speakers to ‘full’ rather than ‘ambient. Then they’ll play in full stereo, and not just as support for the Arc when streaming music. 

Thanks @Airgetlam for the quick answer.

Is a Port the solution here or could I also grab a second hand Connect? I believe the Connect would allow me to have volume control outside of the app, on top of saving me a few bucks.

Thanks!

You could potentially grab a second hand CONNECT, although you’d need to be a bit careful. There are two different models, one which only runs S1, the other which can ripen either S1 and S2, and it’s relatively hard to tell the difference, as at the time, Sonos didn’t realize it would eventually make a difference. There are threads around here that suggest how to tell, but it really boils down to manufactured date. 

Both a CONNECT or a Port would allow volume control in the same manner.