Sub with Play 5 Pair vs Sub with Play 1 Pair // 1500 sqft

• 15 June 2021
  • 7 replies

I currently own several Sonos speakers.  But, I am going to be getting speakers for a retail location and want to get 2 Pairs and 1 Sub.  It is a 1500 sqft open space.  Are 2 pairs of Play 5s worth the extra $ vs 2 pairs of Play 1s?  The bass/low is important, but do the 5’s outperform the 1’s that much on the highs?

I read on this forum that some thought the 1’s seem to outperform the 5s on the mids with the setup.

Thoughts?  Thanks in advance!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7

The Play:5 (or Five) is Sonos’ flagship music speaker. Although the Play:1 (or One) is also a great speaker, it will never outperform a Play:5. I would personally get a pair of Fives and see how it sounds in your retail space. If you need more bass, add the Sub.

I am in love with the Sub.  I don’t think I could have any setup without it!  

Any experience with these setups?  Pairs of each with a Sub?

Userlevel 7

I tested a pair of Play:1s and a Sub setup in my home. I honestly thought the Sub overpowered the Play:1s.

I only have one Play:5 but I love the way it sounds. I would imagine a pair of Play:5s would sound phenomenal with that extra stereo separation. And the Play:5 produces enough bass on its own that a Sub is not necessary for most setups.

I wonder if the 5s have enough highs and mids in stereo vs the 1S. And I’d they do, is it worth the $. 

Userlevel 7

The only way to know for sure is to test them yourself. If you don’t like them, you can always return them.

I tested a pair of Play:1s and a Sub setup in my home. I honestly thought the Sub overpowered the Play:1s.

Is that even after true play tuning? I find that this tuning has the most beneficial effect when the Sub is in the mix, to eliminate bass bloat that can otherwise be guilt of the quoted.

Anyone out there test this setup?  Pair of Play 5 with Sub vs Pair of Play 1s with Sub?