Stop buying Sonos speaker NOW!

• 6 February 2018
  • 10 replies

So they come out with Sonos One which has the Alexa app on it, but you can't pair it to an existing Sonos Play 1. Extremely disappointed! After investing over $3,000 on this system and Sonos pull this crap, I will immediately stop telling people to purchase this product which I previously strongly recommended.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Or you could buy the SonosSequencr app for 2 bucks and have absolutely nothing to complain about.
I did buy the app, but one still has to spend the time to figure out the work around for it. My point is that if one is going to invest so much on a product just to get screwed into upgrading, then the product is not worth investing in. After all, I’m not going to around telling folks, “Sure, buy this very expensive product, but by the way, you have to get a third-party app to make it work this way!”
Given that the Sonos One is not a Play:1 with Alexa, but a different speaker, and that Sonos never said the two would pair, I wonder why you are so angry with Sonos?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
So they come out with Sonos One which has the Alexa app on it, but you can't pair it to an existing Sonos Play 1.
Out of curiosity, what made you think you could stereo pair a PLAY:1 and a ONE? You're not alone, of course: this has been discussed extensively in other threads. The rationale given is that although the speakers are very similar visually, they share few internal components, and do (as I can confirm) sound slightly different.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
So they come out with Sonos One which has the Alexa app on it, but you can't pair it to an existing Sonos Play 1. Extremely disappointed! After investing over $3,000 on this system and Sonos pull this crap, I will immediately stop telling people to purchase this product which I previously strongly recommended.

Hyperbolic nonsense
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yea the point is over dramatic - didn’t even mention in first post already new the problem was not really a problem. Ooh I had to spend 5minutes learnings an app to do something I shouldn’t have thought I could do to begin with. Seriously? I mean this is getting real old - just take the 5 minutes and fix it.

Yes Sonos considers them differwnt hardware wise and different sonically. They don’t believe they should be paired. But you can do it anyway because Sonos has a significant user base developing their own solutions. Like about any product and makes the product even better. You should be happy Sonos has the user base to help with users individual needs

Boo boo - my iPhone doesn’t have a proper place to store all my passwords. Shame on Apple I had to buy a $1 app and learn how it works (wonder if I could probablynhave asked and someone walked me through step by step). I’m boycotting Apple and telling all my friends as well.
So they come out with Sonos One which has the Alexa app on it, but you can't pair it to an existing Sonos Play 1.
Out of curiosity, what made you think you could stereo pair a PLAY:1 and a ONE? You're not alone, of course: this has been discussed extensively in other threads. The rationale given is that although the speakers are very similar visually, they share few internal components, and do (as I can confirm) sound slightly different.

I wonder what would happen if you paired a 1 and a One using SonosSequencer and then ran Trueplay on the pair? Would it adjust away the differences in sound between the two models?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Good question. It would probably help I assume - I guess trueplay will run. I have no desire to pair the two so have nothing to personally test.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I paired the two and ran Trueplay with no problems. I didn't do any really critical listening after doing that though, so I don't have any real pre vs post tuning notes... but the tuning process completed without any issues.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Thx mike