Speaker System Sonos In-Ceiling Speakers, Sound Bar, Amp and Sub

Hello Guys,

Newbie here, sorry if I am asking the same questions as some of the experienced members may have answered it in the past.

In my future house, I have a living room space of approximately 13X18 and planning to use Sonos instead of my current Bose 5.1 on wall speakers.  Tv is going to be on wall which is 18 feet above the fireplace.

I am planning to put 4 in-ceiling Speakers (2 in the front and 2 in the rear left & right)), one Sonos Sub (3rd Generation), Sonos Play Bar in the center (debating) and Sonos Amp in the same room although I have Denon Receiver.

Questions

Sonos Play Bar or Sonos Arc ?

Sonos Play Bar as I am getter it cheaper or should I go with Sonos Arc (will it make a huge difference)

Do I need Sonos Play Bar as centre speaker if I am using 4 ceiling speakers as it will create a phantom channel?

In my TV I have ARC. I would like to connect my Nintendo Switch, Cable TV Box, IPTV Box and Blue-ray / DVD player which is currently connected to my Denon receiver via HDMI in and HDMI (ARC) out goes from my Denon receiver to my TV and Bose 5.1 is getting power from Denon Receiver. How will I be able to connect Sonos Amp with the existing Denon Amp as I would like to use all my devices and Sonos Amp only has one HDMI. Could someone please explain the set-up? Do I need to buy a new receiver?

In-Ceiling Speakers compared to In wall Speakers- I would prefer in-ceiling speakers but few of members will recommend to have in-wall speakers at hearing height but I am concerned about how will they look at 6 feet height on wall and will that bother my eyes and room architect. Will it really make a huge difference to have in-ceiling speakers rather then in-wall speakers considering I am adding Sonos Play Bar?

If I have Sonos Amp, how I will be able to connect Sonos Play Bar and Sonos Sub?  I am assuming Sonos Sub will be completely wireless & play bar needs to be connected using optical, will it disable the audio signal coming from TV and going to receiver via HDMI that will fire the ceiling speakers?

Would you recommend some thing else, I would not prefer to have speakers sitting on a shelf or sticking out.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Sam

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 7

You cannot have two front in-ceiling speakers powered by an Amp with a Sonos sound bar. Your best option would probably be getting a Playbar, Sub, and Amp to power the two rear in-ceiling speakers for your rear surrounds. The Playbar would connect to your TV via optical and you would keep your Denon receiver (and connected devices) connected to the TV’s HDMI ARC port. The Sub and Amp/in-ceiling speakers would connect to your Playbar wirelessly.

@GuitarSuperstar 

Thank you for the prompt response, could you please explain why I can not have 2 front in-ceiling speakers with sound bar? Is it a system restriction or would it not sound well? 

Userlevel 7

It’s a system restriction. A Sonos sound bar already includes the center channel, front left channel, and front right channel speakers. Adding two more front channel speakers would be redundant. The only speakers you can add to a Sonos sound bar system is a Sonos Sub (you can add up to two if one of the Subs is a Gen 3) and two rear surround speakers to create a full 5.1 (or 5.2) system (5.2.2 if using the Sonos Arc).

If you prefer having two front in-ceiling speakers, you have to leave out the sound bar AND get an extra Amp to power the two front speakers.

@GuitarSuperstar 

Sonos Amp lets you connect up to 6 Sonos in-ceiling Speakers, why would you recommend to get extra amp for the same room or same zone? Thank you!

I really wanted the music system to blow my ears so I was hoping to have 4 ceiling speakers, sub and sound bar as center. :)

Userlevel 7

A Sonos Amp only acts as one zone. If you want to set up a 4.1 home theater system with four in-ceiling speakers, the two front channel speakers have to be connected to one Amp, and the two rear channel speakers have to be connected to a second Amp. A single Amp cannot send four channels of audio to four different speakers. You could connect all four speakers in parallel to a single Amp, but you wouldn’t get four discrete channels. You would only get two channels playing out of four speakers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

The difference between the PlayBar and Arc is immense but with the Arc’s upward firing speakers, I would personally would go for wall speakers rather than ceiling speakers.  This will also enable Dolby Atmos if your TV has an eARC port. Stick to the ceiling speakers as @GuitarSuperstar has recommended if you go for the PlayBar.

A Sonos Amp only acts as one zone. If you want to set up a 4.1 home theater system with four in-ceiling speakers, the two front channel speakers have to be connected to one Amp, and the two rear channel speakers have to be connected to a second Amp. A single Amp cannot send four channels of audio to four different speakers. You could connect all four speakers in parallel to a single Amp, but you wouldn’t get four discrete channels. You would only get two channels playing out of four speakers.

Thank you!!

This is the video I was looking at when I initially decided to go with Arc and Ceiling speakers, Thank you!

The difference between the PlayBar and Arc is immense but with the Arc’s upward firing speakers, I would personally would go for wall speakers rather than ceiling speakers.  This will also enable Dolby Atmos if your TV has an eARC port. Stick to the ceiling speakers as @GuitarSuperstar has recommended if you go for the PlayBar.

I will go with Sonos Arc as the reviews are better compared to PlayBar. One time investment :) Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thank you!!

This is the video I was looking at when I initially decided to go with Arc and Ceiling speakers, Thank you!

So this set-up has created multiple Sonos Rooms within the same physical room, hence the need/ability to control volume for different sets of ceiling speakers.  I’m not sure that I would recommend this approach, as there will be a lag between the Arc and the other rooms - now this may not be too noticeable as the voice will mainly play via the Arc.  Great way to sell more Sonos kit though!

Thank you!!

So this set-up has created multiple Sonos Rooms within the same physical room, hence the need/ability to control volume for different sets of ceiling speakers.  I’m not sure that I would recommend this approach, as there will be a lag between the Arc and the other rooms - now this may not be too noticeable as the voice will mainly play via the Arc.  Great way to sell more Sonos kit though!

I was planning to do the similar set-up using Sonos amp + using existing amp (if needed) and adding Sonos Sub but my lack of knowledge about systems may make you laugh. 

Userlevel 7

To add what @UKMedia said above, the guy in the YouTube video has a 5.1.2 surround sound system made up of the Sonos Arc, Sub, and Amp powering two rear in-ceiling speakers. The two front in-ceiling speakers aren’t technically part of the 5.1.2 setup. The installers just added the extra pair of front speakers powered by a separate Amp that has to be grouped with the 5.1.2 setup for all the speakers to play together. And like @UKMedia said, there will be a 75 ms delay with the two front in-ceiling speakers (when watching TV content) which may or may not be noticeable depending on your room set up and the volume level. What he is doing is the same as if he grouped a Sonos One in his bedroom with the 5.1.2 setup.