sound quality

• 5 December 2021
  • 11 replies

• Contributor I
  • 3 replies

Hi, if i may ask how does sonos sound quality and clarity compare with bose as i have been so used to bose over the years as had their products so really have no experinece with sonos?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Personal experience here. Used to use BOSE years ago, but found Sonos to be superior for my purposes. Also, which may or not be relevant to you, in the time I’ve moved to Sonos, BOSE has come out with two new systems, all of which invalidated all of their own speakers, and they couldn’t be integrated together. With two exceptions (a remote control and a iPod dock), Sonos continues to support all of their devices.

Of course, my opinion is just that, an opinion. You should do your best to do a direct comparison, and see how your ears and brain interpret the differences.

I’d  bet Sonos would be a better sound, but then again you’ve asked the question on a Sonos forum, it’s entirely possible you’d get a differing opinion on a BOSE forum.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I believe Sonos offers a 90-day Returns policy. Why not try them in your home and listen to what your ears tell you?

I believe Sonos offers a 90-day Returns policy. Why not try them in your home and listen to what your ears tell you?

The only reliable way to answer the opening question...

@Airgetlam 

Bose used to have online community forums like this but recently closed them down unfortunately.

Sorry to hear that. I suppose one could suggest there’s a lack of commitment to their user base, although there is an economic cost for running forums, having done that in my life. They may not perceive a value to cost ratio. 

That being said, you might get a perceived ‘more un-biased’ viewpoint not on a manufacturer’s forums. Like on the home theater forum, or the A/V forum. Always consider the perspective of those you’re getting information from, if they’re on a Sonos forum, they’re likely to have self interest to suggest what they’ve spent their investment on. 

@Airgetlam 

I knew was taking that risl/gample of getting only biased responses but still thought i will try. Not sure why both brands are so expensive and also sonos are a relativly new brand compared to bose and others. 

Sonos is close to twenty years old at this point, I guess it depends on what your definition of ‘new’ is. For me, in ‘tech’, ‘new’ is less than a year old. 

Nothing wrong with the ask, just wanted to be sure you were aware of the inherent bias asking on a manufacturer’s community site. 

I use BOSE headphones for ANR when flying, not that I’ve done much of that recently. But my home is full of Sonos speakers, so I’m likely not the most dispassionate respondent. 

@Airgetlam 

What does ANR stand for?

Ah, sorry. Jargon for Active Noise Reduction. 

I use Bose 251 speakers in an external space, and they have sounded and worked fine there since 2003. For HiFi applications the usual Bose speakers that are used offer a coloured sound which isn't to everyone’s taste and I have never used them back when Sonos did not exist; and for such use I have found Sonos speakers to offer a sound that is much more like what I prefer.

But as you will see from the above, it gets to a personal preference for the sonic signature. For wireless capability, I would not go with Bose though.

If you find both to be expensive, a good solution would be something like an Echo Dot with its audio out jacks wired into a pair of speakers like the Presonus Eris 4.5. I use this set up in one of my zones, and for a much lower price the sound is perhaps a little better than a Sonos One pair - it definitely isn't worse.