Answered

Sonos Sub for Home Theater and Terrace

Hi there, I am designing a home expansion to create a Family room and a Terrace. In the  Family room I am considering a sonos arc, sonos sub and 2 One’s for surround.  For the terrace, two passive outdoor speakers powered by a Sonos Amp. 

My question is: can I pair the Sonos Sub with the Amp wirelessly (moving the Sub outside of course) when I am in the Terrace to enjoy the music in stereo from the outdoor speakers with the sub through the app? 

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 29 May 2021, 05:05

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Yes, but it isn’t as easy as you think. Essentially, you have to unbond it from your Arc each time, then bond it with your Amp. And then reverse the process to move it back. Say 5 minutes of clicking on buttons (but faster once you get used to doing it) each time. And of course, each time it is moved, you would lose any TruePlay effects you’ve applied. 

The software doesn’t make it an easy thing to do. Probably a mix of challenging programming, and concern about loss of sales if it was too easily done. 

Sonos would really prefer it if you purchased two SUBs. They just don’t make it easy to switch the SUB between two ‘rooms’.

Thank you Airgetlam ! Good point in the set up and programming.  Do you know if the Sub can be placed outdoors permanently? The cost-benefit of adding another sub just for the terrace doesn’t make it appealine, but it would be good to know.

Userlevel 7

The Sub is not really designed for outdoor use. It should not be exposed to water or moisture.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Definitely not exposed to small critters or bugs that could crawl inside it too.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

You might already be aware, but if not it’s worth noting that the Amp has a sub output that you can use with any powered subwoofer, so you could use a considerably less expensive and/or weather resistant  sub for your terrace.