Sticky Answered

Sonos Setup: Vinyl Options

• 22 November 2023
  • 4 replies

I wan to get into vinyl and could use some advice on the best Sonos setup. After some initial research, it looks like a solid starting point would be the Sonos Five paired with a quality turntable.

Currently, my setup includes four Sonos One SLs (wall-mounted) — one in the living room corner above the TV, two in the dining room, one in the kitchen — and a Play:1 in the office on a different floor.

Here are the options I'm considering:

1. Purchase a new Sonos Five along with a Pro-Ject T1 (potential savings if bought separately rather than direct from Sonos).

2. Explore a second-hand Sonos 5 (gen2) along with a Pro-Ject T1 (or similar)

3. Consider a second-hand Connect paired with a Pro-Ject T1 and continue using my existing One SLs and Play:1 (is this wise or possible)

Additionally, I'm thinking about adding a Sonos Beam to mount under the TV (not right away).
If not a Sonos Beam, would I be able to use the Five, move it and connect it to the TV on the occasional “movie night”?

I'd appreciate your thoughts and recommendations on these options.

icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 22 November 2023, 20:30

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Option 1 would be good, watch for sale prices and bundles.

Option 2, that would be a Play 5. That would work too.

Option 3, as long as the Connect is s2 compatible this would work.

With the Five, 5 or Connect you could continue to use your existing Sonos as you wish by grouping them. You have the option to play the turntable connected to the Five/5 on other Sonos, leaving the Five/5 silent.

The Beam would integrate with all your other Sonos for music but unless you add them as surrounds other grouped Sonos would have a slight audio delay/echo.

The Five/5 for TV use would also have the delay, not too aggravating if you mute the TV’s speakers and don’t get bothered by the lip-sync issues.

Would a second hand 1st generation Play 5 word with a turntable?

Only with an S1 system, and of course the turntable still needs to be pre-amped. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Unless you are willing to live with two systems that won’t work together stay with S2 compatible gear.

Either a Play 5 or Connect that are S2 capable would work.