Answered

Sonos Ray and HDMi Arc

• 28 October 2022
  • 3 replies

hello

I plan to buy a sonos ray.

I have a concern.

I want to connect it to my Samsung smart monitor M7 pc screen. the monitor does not have an optical port it only has Hdmi Arc ports.

the store near me sells the sonos ray and offers the sonos optical adapter with it and assures me that it allows you to do this:

sonos ray -> adapter connected to the optical port -> hdmi cable connected to the hdmi port of the adapter -> hdmi cable connected to the hdmi arc port of the monitor.

What do you think ? because I called sonos support who did not know what I was talking about.. thank you

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 28 October 2022, 12:10

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The Sonos optical adapter is supposed to be used the other way round: to connect an HDMI-only Sonos soundbar (Beam or Arc) to the optical connection on a TV. I'd be surprised idf it would work the way you are advised to use it. Could you return the Ray if it would not work?

Hi.

Thank you for the answer.
possible but not practical :)

look below the link indicating the adapter offered.

https://www.fnac.com/Barre-de-son-Sonos-Ray-Dolby-Digital-3-0-Blanc/a17019040/w-4?Origin=SEA_GOOGLE_PLA_SON&esl-k=sem-google%7cnu%7cc587773424047%7cm%7ck898708520862%7cp%7ct%7cdm%7ca134039672069%7cg16567504689&gclid=Cj0KCQjw--2aBhD5ARIsALiRlwCSazeDopIXIsiuo5x_N-GEBhwI6dgGZvJnYNcu7FYw2UzIuXxcBb4aAsLXEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I do not see in this case the point of offering an hdmi to optical adapter if it is not reversible since the soundbar is already optical …

Hi.

Thank you for the answer.
possible but not practical :)

look below the link indicating the adapter offered.

https://www.fnac.com/Barre-de-son-Sonos-Ray-Dolby-Digital-3-0-Blanc/a17019040/w-4?Origin=SEA_GOOGLE_PLA_SON&esl-k=sem-google%7cnu%7cc587773424047%7cm%7ck898708520862%7cp%7ct%7cdm%7ca134039672069%7cg16567504689&gclid=Cj0KCQjw--2aBhD5ARIsALiRlwCSazeDopIXIsiuo5x_N-GEBhwI6dgGZvJnYNcu7FYw2UzIuXxcBb4aAsLXEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I do not see in this case the point of offering an hdmi to optical adapter if it is not reversible since the soundbar is already optical …

It’s a mistake on that website - the optical adapter is for use with the Beam, Amp and Arc products - in fact it is provided in the package in the case of the Beam and Arc. You have to purchase it separate for the Amp. I’m pretty sure it does not work with the Ray, as the HDMI side of the adapter is for ARC/eARC (audio return channel), which is different to the HDMI connection you are referring to in your post - so it will not work in your case. You need to use an HDMI to optical splitter/extractor. Something similar to this offering:

HDMI to Optical Extractor

However shop around you may find a similar item, cheaper etc.

edit: Oh and perhaps let the website know that they have a mistake in the way they are associating the adapter to the Ray.