Sonos Port to AirPlay with old Sonos speakers

• 24 January 2021
  • 4 replies

Badge

Hello Sonos community,

Please forgive me if this question has been covered already. I haven’t found an answer that covers my needs.

I have the following setup: one Play:1 in bedroom, another one in bathroom, and a stereo pair of Play:3 in the living room.

I’m very satisfied by this setup for a while but i wish to use AirPlay now.

I understand i have 2 options:

1. Replace at least one speaker per room that is AirPlay2-capable
  2. Add a Sonos Port to this setup

Option 1 is costly just for AirPlay, at least 1k€ since i would have to buy at least two Play One and one Play:5

Option 2 would cost half of it but i understand the Port will only allow one stream to one room or group at a time

Could you please help me confirm my analysis or point any option i forgot?

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Hi. I don't know where you have got those ideas from!

All you need to add Airplay is one Airplay 2 compatible Sonos speaker.  A One SL or a Sympbonisk would do.

If might be helpful to have a couple to make sure you can get a decent connection between source device and speaker, wherever you are in the apartment. 

There is no difference in this respect between a Port, Five or any other Airplay 2 compatible speaker. 

Additional comment. I think most people don't try to make every room separately Airplayable with multiple streams. You do need one Airplay 2 compatible speaker for each stream. 

Badge

That’s my point: i wish to keep each room streamable independently as it is already a usage i have.
Thanks for your last answer. It clarifies for me the pros and cons of this setup.

Do you really need to stream three different streams by Airplay simultaneously?

You only need one Airplay compatible speaker to stream the same stream to all rooms, or Airplay to one room and use the Sonos app for the other streams.