Question

Sonos Port Digital out

Badge

I replaced my Sonos Connect with a Sonos Port. I used an optical cable to bypass the Sonos DAC (in the Connect) to take the signal to a dedicated Arcam DAC. This option is no longer available with the port, which just has a digital out connection. My question is, can I use an RCA cable instead of a digital coaxial cable (which has an RCA connector anyway).Even if it works, can I be certain that this will not damage either my port or Arcam DAC?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

I don't think that is a good route to go down. Coaxial to optical converters are very cheap.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I think the OP is just asking about the cable. Presumably, the plan is to use digital coax out on the Port to digital coax in on the DAC.

Personally, I’d buy a digital coaxial cable (shielded) intended for the purpose, but one channel of an RCA connector pair will probably do, especially for short runs.

You might also want to try the Port’s built in DAC to see if you can tell the difference between that and the Arcam.