Answered

Sonos Play:1 & Apple Music

• 15 July 2019
  • 4 replies

Hi,

Just looking for some advice about the Sonos Play:1 (Gen 1).

There are some quite attractable deals on these speakers at the minute on Amazon.

Having looked on a deals website, I've noticed several people mentioning the Gen 1 is not compatible with Apple Music due to 'Airplay 2'?

My intention is to purchase three speakers, one for the living room, kitchen and bedroom.

I would like to use my Apple Music membership and, have the ability to stream music to one room at a time or to all rooms (with the same music) however, I'm told via a deals forum this cannot be done, only via the Gen 2.

Is this correct before I lose out on the deal?

Thanks for the help!

Antony
icon

Best answer by jgatie 15 July 2019, 18:12

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

All Sonos devices ever made will play Apple Music from the Sonos app. However, only the Beam, Playbase, Amp, One and Play:5 Gen 2 are Airplay 2 compatible. Airplay 2 allows you to play directly from iTunes, YouTube, etc. apps to Sonos, without using the Sonos app.

For more info, see these links:

Apple Music and Sonos

Using Airplay with Sonos
All Sonos devices ever made will play Apple Music from the Sonos app. However, only the Beam, Playbase, Amp, One and Play:5 Gen 2 are Airplay 2 compatible. Airplay 2 allows you to play directly from iTunes, YouTube, etc. apps to Sonos, without using the Sonos app.

For more info, see these links:

Apple Music and Sonos
Using Airplay with Sonos

Thanks for the super quick reply buddy.

Just to clarify, via the Sonos App I can access the same playlists and library music on my phone? And I can play different tunes in different rooms, or the same through all speakers?

Just to clarify the below is wrong? It was a response via HUKD about the speakers being able to play Apple Music via my phone?

ant5246 wrote:
Can you give some more detail on this please? So I won’t be able to play music via Apple Music on my iPhone to this device via wireless?

Reply:
Not via the sonos app no, you should get a message every so often when you open app to remind you.
You can still play music but has to be via air play and the play 1’s don’t support that feature along with quite a few other speakers in the range too

It’s only IOS devices as far as I know

Thanks for the super quick reply buddy.

Just to clarify, via the Sonos App I can access the same playlists and library music on my phone? And I can play different tunes in different rooms, or the same through all speakers?

Yes. Access to Apple Music will be via the Sonos app.

Just to clarify the below is wrong? It was a response via HUKD about the speakers being able to play Apple Music via my phone?

ant5246 wrote:
Can you give some more detail on this please? So I won’t be able to play music via Apple Music on my iPhone to this device via wireless?

Reply:
Not via the sonos app no, you should get a message every so often when you open app to remind you.
You can still play music but has to be via air play and the play 1’s don’t support that feature along with quite a few other speakers in the range too

It’s only IOS devices as far as I know

Yes, the above is incorrect. You most certainly can use Apple Music through the Sonos app on all Sonos devices ever made. This has nothing to do with Airplay compatibility, for Apple Music has been on Sonos since before Sonos had Airplay, as the below video showed back in 2016.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Great answers, jgatie!

@Ant. the quoted message there is regarding a separate feature where you could send the tracks stored on you iOS device directly to Sonos through the Sonos app. That would be for purchased iTunes tracks, for example. If you're paying for an Apple Music subscription, you won't have anything to worry about.