Sonos Order and Import duty UK

• 11 February 2021
  • 3 replies

Badge

I currently have a Sonos arc on backorder. The order was placed on the Sonos website in January pre Brexit. Is this order now subject to import duty (VAT) now that the UK have left the EU. The reason i ask is my company recently ordered parts from Germany to repair a machine. The courier that delivered the parts would not release the package until we paid import charges, these charges were nearly as much as the cost of the parts.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Badge

If you ordered after the 1st of Jan Britain had left the common market so you would imagine any extra costs would have been applied at check out. Also the fact that the cost of sonos products has not risen in the uk since that date would have me think that sonos have their end sorted. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

In theory, Stumper’s reply is correct, though one thing to note if you have an item on “backorder” is that the order details show two of the cost lines starting with the letters “Est.”

So my order - placed in February, after we left the EU, shows a line for the basic cost of the item followed by “Est. Shipping,Handling” and “Est. VAT”. Does that mean that they are unsure whether I will pay more? I guess I will find out in a few weeks time, when it eventually gets delivered...

Did you get hit for import duty?