Answered

Sonos One SL S1 compatibility

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

31 replies

Badge +17

If your One SL was running the S1 firmware before a factory reset occurred, you will be able to add it back to your S1 system. 

Thanks James, that’s all very helpful! In reference to the above, does that mean that if the second-hand One SL had been running S1 firmware before it was resold it could’ve been added to the new owner’s S1 system after a factory reset, or can it only be re-added as an S1 unit to the original system, and would have to be added as an S2 in a new owner’s system?

Thanks again, especially for clarifying the Transfer Ownership function.

Correct, it would only be able to be re-added to the same S1 system it was previously registered to. If it was added to another system, it would need to upgrade to S2.

EDIT: I was mistaken in my comment above, please see comment 31 below.

Badge

I spoke to a perfectly courteous Sonos customer service rep who respectfully noted down all my information and recorded my complaint (paucity of public information that this would be a problem, poor Sonos job of communicating with its customer base, etc.) and told me there’s nothing they could do for me — “at present, anyway.” Sigh.

Badge

It occurs to me to ask whether this downgrade prohibition for the One SL is happening with any other Sonos speakers. What about Play speakers used with the S2 app? Will they be able to join S1 systems?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I expect an updated One (to keep up with the slightly updated One SL) to have the same effect for older One’s.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

So Sonos do not appear to have learnt their lesson yet. We now have yet another example of the company making decisions that will cause confusion, probably upset some of the existing user base, create fear about the future of other products and generally muddy the waters around the product line.

The tweaks to make the product more eco and the other changes seem to be good things to do but why oh why could they have not created a Gen2? To me this smacks of Sonos adding more pressure on existing owners to upgrade, poor show Sonos

Anyone owning a SL has now lost the ability of adding the device to a different S1 environment, so selling the product to someone else has become complicated, It may be difficult or impossible to move the device between two S1 locations (of the same owner).

If a device accidently gets upgraded to S2 then the owner is stuffed and that is definitely out of order. 

Sonos states

“One of the limitations we were clear about was that products launched after June 2020 would only be available on the S2 app. “.

Well the SL was released before June 2020 and the implicit understanding from that statement is that any product released before that date would continue to be useable on S1.

Having started down this road how long before Sonos decide to take the same approach to the other 17/18 products that are currently S1 & S2 compatible.

The more I think about this the more outrageous I think it is - Sonos this really is not acceptable   

Badge +17

If your One SL was running the S1 firmware before a factory reset occurred, you will be able to add it back to your S1 system. 

Thanks James, that’s all very helpful! In reference to the above, does that mean that if the second-hand One SL had been running S1 firmware before it was resold it could’ve been added to the new owner’s S1 system after a factory reset, or can it only be re-added as an S1 unit to the original system, and would have to be added as an S2 in a new owner’s system?

Thanks again, especially for clarifying the Transfer Ownership function.

Correct, it would only be able to be re-added to the same S1 system it was previously registered to. If it was added to another system, it would need to upgrade to S2.

Hey folks,

I’d like to issue a correction to my previous (quoted) statement here. I was mistaken in regard to how a One SL can be setup.

I hope this clears things up. 

If a One SL is still on S1 firmware, it can be added to ANY S1 household as long as it stays on S1 firmware. This means that if a One SL is on S1 firmware today, you are able to factory reset it and add it to another, different, S1 household. Once it updates to S2, it cannot be downgraded, so it can’t be added to an S1 system at that point.