Sonos + headphone amps - any experience?

• 4 March 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

The one thing missing from my Sonos world is the ability to listen to my stuff on headphones. Has anybody got experience of using Port + audiophile headphone amp + headphones? Any recommendations? I listen mostly to music stored on my NAS, not so much streamed. Or would I be better looking for a different (ie non-Sonos) solution, e.g. an audiophile DAC + headphones? 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Seems everyone is waiting for the Sonos Headphone.  A port and Headphone amp is a very expensive solution and a dedicated player and headphone amp would be cheaper and far more portable.  The Gen 1 Play 5 had a headphone out.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Yes, I had Play:5’s once. I miss that headphone jack!

Sonos is rumored to be making their own headphones, I would think to be released within the next year.  If you can wait, then I could be wise to see if those meet your needs.

As far as recommendations for a solution right now, I can’t recommend anything ‘audiophile’ quality.  If it were me, I would probably get a plex account to access my music, then use my phone plus a good pair of bluetooth headphones.  I’m sure it’s not the best quality I could get, but I like the ability to use them anywhere.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I’ve used a Connect, headphone amp and headphones with fair (to my poor ears) results. Too much gear to place close to where I wanted to sit and too much hassle to move if I wanted to sit elsewhere.

Trying to dump the cord I tried Bluetooth and it worked well as long as only using the headphones, adding speakers got me into delay issues. Maybe some of the new low latency gear would fare better?

Bluetooth to my hearing aids is also interesting, not great quality but darned handy.