Question

Sonos for business/apartment building use

• 24 August 2017
  • 3 replies

Hello - we are planning to install sonos speakers in an apartment building for several common areas including a community room and a yoga room. Has anyone used sonos for this situation or a similar one? If so, which streaming service did you use (spotify and pandora are not compliant with public/business usage).

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Im about to ask almost the same question. As you say Spotify is not compliant with public usage. There is something called Spotify Business which is marketed through soundtrackyourbrand.com
This solution is ok for public usage, but has a different buildup.

You use the webportal to create locations, zones and playlists, and then define a player for that zone. You can define the "Player for Spotify Business" or create a Spotify Premium account from the web portal.
The benefit of the web solution is that you can get "other people" like DJ's or such, to login and maintain your playlists, which are then auto-streamed to your players when the list is enabled for a zone.
BUT,
There is no Sonos integration for "Player for Spotify Business" so you must connect your device with minijack to one of the Sonos speakers. OR, use the Spotify Premium account that i mentioned earlier and loose the online playlist feature i talked about.

My question in the next thread will be when Sonos is gonna implement "Player for Spotify Business" in its integrations 😉
I bought the play 3 speakers to use in my pub. I am based in the UK. Unfortunately the commercially licenced streaming apps available on sonos is not great (ie. really bad). Spotify is not licenced in the UK. I did find an app called Auracle Sound which is great but unfortunately is not available on Sonos. Not very helpful. Sonos will tell you that they are not designed for business but they are missing a trick here for small businesses and pubs. They need to look at this app cause it will give them another marketing opportunity. Will keep looking but hopefully Sonos will look into Auracle Sound.