Answered

Sonos Connect W/ Sonos Beam

• 27 March 2019
  • 3 replies

Badge
I currently have a Sonos Beam set up of course as the sound bar for my TV. I also have an Audio Technica turntable with a built in pre-amp. Basically, I have two questions:

1.) Would a Sonos Connect or ZP90 (I've seen some used for cheaper) allow me to play my turntable on the Beam? I've read somewhere that the Beam isn't compatible with the Connect or ZP90 so I wanted to see if that was accurate information. I can't afford a Play5 so I'm trying to see if this option would work?

2.) I also hope within the year to purchase a couple of Sonos One speakers to link with the Beam for surround sound. Will I have any issues with the Connect or Zp90 working the turntable (and surround sound) once I expand?

Is there anything else I should be aware of?

I'm new to Sonos and new to comprehensive audio equipment in general, so I appreciate the help.
icon

Best answer by melvimbe 27 March 2019, 14:15

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

I currently have a Sonos Beam set up of course as the sound bar for my TV. I also have an Audio Technica turntable with a built in pre-amp. Basically, I have two questions:

1.) Would a Sonos Connect or ZP90 (I've seen some used for cheaper) allow me to play my turntable on the Beam? I've read somewhere that the Beam isn't compatible with the Connect or ZP90 so I wanted to see if that was accurate information. I can't afford a Play5 so I'm trying to see if this option would work?

Yes, that will work. What you may have heard is people trying to use a Connect to 'power' surround speakers (through a third party amp) . That doesn't work. Your Connect would be setup as separate room, which can be grouped with your Beam.

2.) I also hope within the year to purchase a couple of Sonos One speakers to link with the Beam for surround sound. Will I have any issues with the Connect or Zp90 working the turntable (and surround sound) once I expand?

That's fine too. However, when Ones are used as surround speakers for the Beam, their Mics are automatically turned off. So play:1s is the better/cheaper option, unless you just like the look of the Ones better.
It would be perfectly possible to play the music from the turntable to the Beam. Whatever goes into a Connect's line-in can be streamed to any Sonos speaker.

There is a slightly convoluted way to play the turntable through the Beam without further Sonos equipment. The RCA output from turntable (I assume it's RCA stereo?) could be fed through a analog to digital converter with optical output. Then use the optical to HDMI connector that came with the Beam to get from optical to what the Beam requires. If that works then you could introduce an optical switch so that you can choose between TV and turntable inputs.

At least, I think that would work! An ADC can be bought pretty cheaply.
Badge
Thanks for the help @melvimbe and @John B. I really appreciate the community here and your willingness to impart information and advice.

My turntable is on the other side of the room from the Beam so I don't think the ADC would work for me. I'll go ahead and move forward on the Connect. Though I know to be careful on eBay, I've found a used Connect there for about $235.

And when the time comes I'll definitely look into the Play:1s.

Thanks again.