Answered

Sonos Connect

• 14 September 2018
  • 2 replies

So I wanted to get a Sonos Connect for my TV. And as I've read more about it im starting to understand. I want to hook my Sonos Connect up to my cable box turn off my TV speakers, but if I hook my optical cable to the back of my TV and then to my sound bar will my sound bar play with my existing Sonos speakers? And will it echo is another big concern?
icon

Best answer by Chris 14 September 2018, 16:21

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

I'm not sure what you have currently. Do you already have a soundbar connected to your TV? How is it connected? Does it have "aux" inputs and outputs?

A CONNECT isn't generally recommended for TV use, due to the minimum of 70ms delay in processing the line in on the device. That's why Sonos makes their own soundbars, the PLAYBASE, PLAYBAR, and Beam, that have much less delay on the digital inputs.

So, I guess I'm asking 1) what do you have currently, and 2) what do you want to do?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
#1 issue here is that you think you can hook the optical out of the TV into the Connect. The current Connect has no optical INPUT. You would have to hook the connect to analog out from TV (some TVs have some don't - some have to hook direct to cable box analog outs).

You are going to have a 70ms delay caused by this. I don't find it distracting as long as the TV speakers are turned down. You can hook your soundbar up to the connect via optical but it will only be stereo not surround.

I think you would be much better off getting a Sonos Beam that is meant for this and re-purpose your current Soundbar.