Answered

Sonos combination possibilities?

• 26 May 2019
  • 5 replies

Hello, new to Sonos products. Just purchased a Playbar and Sub.

Ive seen the 5.1 setups by adding two Sonos Ones.

In place of the Ones, could I side Play 3 or Play 5 speakers to complete the 5.1? Anyone have any advantages/disadvantages of those in place? I’m not really concerned about the extra $ of the 3s and 5s.
icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 26 May 2019, 02:14

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

MRagland828,

I think you will be fine with two Sonos Ones (gen2) .. they are the newest product and sound great!

Play:3’s are no longer available from Sonos and Play:5 is probably going to be overkill for most reasonable sized rooms, together with a PlayBar and Sub.

Unlike the other speakers the Sonos Ones will give you voice control too using Alexa, or possibly Google Assistant, depending on your country of residence.

Note: Even though the Sonos Ones and Play:5's Support Apple Airplay, that feature is disabled when they are bonded as 'surrounds' with the PlayBar.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I'd look at Play 1s for surround use, they are plenty of speaker for that and are a better buy than the Sonos Ones.

If you use the non-5.1 setup to play multi-channel Stereo then I think the 5s will add some sound to the rear of the room.
I agree with the play 1 recommendation based on how much can be saved by this route compared to the Ones, for no loss of sound quality.
If $$$ are not an issue, and there is enough space for them, get the 5 units, even if you will use the set up for non 5.1 music play only occassionally.
Thanks everyone. I’ll check out the Play 1s.
Userlevel 7
Hi Mragland828

I'm not disagreeing with any of the suggestions given by the other members nor your decision to go with the Play:1's. I will add this....the Sonos One's when used as surrounds ONLY with the Playbar still have Alexa voice assistance active (I would now assume Google assist as well). By the same token if you have already invested in an Echo Dot...Alexa/Google in the Sonos One may not be a plus; unless you want to repurpose the Dot. Just FYI 😉

Cheers!