Answered

Sonos Beam with my current set up

• 7 July 2018
  • 4 replies

I am looking at getting surround sound for my new kitchen diner. I have a Samsung UE55F8000STXXU TV which has an ARC HDMI port so should support Alexa from the Sonos Beam....correct? Next question is what would I put with it?

I am resigned to buy-in the Beam and Sub-woofer but I already own a Play:1, Play:5 and two Sonos Ones. Since the Beam has Alexa built in, I assume that using the two Sonos Ones is a waste of them? Can I use the Play:1 and Play:5 together? If not, guess I just need another Play:1?

Any help/guidance appreciated!!
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 7 July 2018, 20:36

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Not sure I understand the connection of ARC HDMI and support from Alexa, but yes, that should work. I guess perhaps you mean voice control of the TV set?

For the surrounds, I'd agree that using the two Sonos Ones would be wasteful, since as surrounds, they'd lose their voice registering capability. I'd use them elsewhere in your home. And of course, surrounds have to be two of the same kind of speakers, so I'd just get another PLAY:1, which work incredibly well as surround speakers. My opinion is that two PLAY:5s is overkill for that purpose, and too expensive.
Cheers Bruce - so I couldn’t use the Play:1 and Play:5 together as surrounds? Is this a definite no-no?
Well, not with Sonos' software. I've heard people discuss a 3rd party app called Sonosequencr, that purports to be able to pair them so that they could be used as a surround pair, but I've never bought this iOS app to look at it, and frankly, I can't imagine that speakers that have such wildly different characteristics would sound good paired, as surrounds or not. I'd spend the $150 and get another PLAY:1.
Thanks mate