Answered

Sonos Beam and Sony A8H OLED TV

• 23 January 2021
  • 1 reply

• Contributor I
  • 0 replies

Hello, 

This is my first post here. I recently bought a new TV, 65” Sony A8H OLED. It’s my understanding that it supports Dolby ATMOS; however, the Beam does not.

Does that mean that I have to upgrade to the Sonos Arc? What to do with the Beam? (I don’t have another TV) So far the TV sound has been great, compared with my previous less sophisticated TV. 

I apologize for my lack of knowledge!

Cheers,

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 23 January 2021, 23:34

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

If you want access to the limited amount of content that actually is encoded in Atmos (relative small amount at this point, imho), then yes, you’d need to get an Arc, if you want to stay in the Sonos ecosystem. 

I haven’t checked lately, but I suspect that your Beam will sell fairly well on the third party market, but you may want to check yourself. Alternately, you could just use it on another TV, or as a stereo set of speakers, or gift it to a friend or acquaintance, for maybe a promise for a nice dinner, when the pandemic is ‘over’. 

Please don’t apologize for lack of knowledge. You’ll never find out until you ask, or do some research yourself, which can be asking itself.