Question

Sonos Arc, Sonos Sub 3rd gen, Sonos Port with multi zone hardwired speakers

• 9 August 2020
  • 3 replies

Currently  have arc and 3rd gen sub connected. The room is wired for right and left rear. If I get sonos port and connect a traditional amp (not sonos) will the room become a pseudo 5.1 with the arc (front right center left), 2 hard wired speakers in the rear and sonos sub? 

The amp is 2 zone so can I utilize the app and group my speakers? Everything above for living room movies and then party music on 2 hard wired patio speakers both running simultaneously?

If not what's my fix to accomplish multi zone utilizing sonos app?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @jezz62, welcome to the community! Yes, you can get a Sonos Port and connect your amplifier/receiver to it. More here about setting up Port. Once you get the Port, you can group it with the rest of your Sonos speakers to play it all at the same time using the Sonos app. As for surrounds with Sonos, Port cannot be used with it. Here’s more about Surround sound guidelines and limitations. Let us know if this helps. Thanks! 

Thank you. 

Can I utilize two same model sonos speakers for my rear surround with the arc and sub?

Then I would just have to get another two for patio and group my speakers. 

Could I then have a movie on and party music on patio?

Thank you

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @jezz62, thanks for your response. Yes, as long as they are the same model it can be used together as surround speakers. For example, two Sonos Ones can be used for surround sound but Sonos One and Play:1 cannot. However, related models like Sonos One and One SL can be used together as surround speakers. More here in the article and another yes for the set up that you’re thinking. You can always set up Sonos in every room, you can play individually and you can group it as well to play music to all rooms at the same time. Once you added the two speakers as surround it will always be dependent on the soundbar it's linked to on whatever you’re playing whether its TV or music from the Sonos app. Please let us know if there’s anything else we can help you with.